Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Thermals

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Thermals

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 15, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Question! If the air temperature is the same day & night, what does the thermals do?
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Re: Thermals

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2018 •  [Post 2]

In the summer the day time temps are higher than the night temps. Ditto fall-spring. It may not seem like there is much of a difference when it is very cold, but there is a difference. The only time day and night temps may stay relatively quite close is when a storm moves in. Then the prevailing winds control. Of coarse a storm moving in can cause temperature to drop a lot even in an afternoon. So, carry a jacket with you. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 15, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Playing the wind and thermals are tricky when the weather changes. Thanks for your response! I'm so excited to get into the woods! Can't believe were 60 days away. Hope I kill my 1st bull! I'm afraid everyone in the unit will hear me. Thanks again for all your advice. Good luck to you
lilshootergirl

Postby saddlesore » 08 15, 2018 •  [Post 4]

General rule of thumb.Thermals work down hill in the early morning and up hill once it starts to warms up. As for swirling thermals, no one can predict what they will do.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Night time temps will always be lower in the hills. Just remember that there are spots where the air is almost always dropping even during the day. Get yourself some Smoke in a Bottle to be sure of wind direction even when it’s hard to tell if there’s any movement at all. Good luck!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Losefreeze » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 6]

lilshootergirl wrote:Playing the wind and thermals are tricky when the weather changes. Thanks for your response! I'm so excited to get into the woods! Can't believe were 60 days away. Hope I kill my 1st bull! I'm afraid everyone in the unit will hear me. Thanks again for all your advice. Good luck to you

Lilshootergirl if i still had to wait 60 days I don't think I could keep myself from burning my office down. 60 days from now seems like an eternity especially since opening day here in CO is t-minus 9 days. Good luck out there.
Losefreeze

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 7]

General rule of thumb here in the mountains is there will usually be at least a 40 degree range of temperature between day time hi and night time low.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 8]

one other thing to consider is cloud cover. The sun can really warm up a hillside even though the ambient air temp isn't rising too much. Cloudy days have the opposite effect, but there can still be thermals.

One thing not discussed a lot is the combination of wind and thermals. Yes, thermals go up and down, but throw in a little wind and you get swirling. Quite a few times we have enjoyed nice downhill thermals with no wind and then about 9:30 all hell breaks loose. The thermals start to switch and the wind picks up and your wind checker is going every which way every time you check it. Right after that is when you hear a locomotive with horns thunder off from 40 yards in front of you!
Tigger

Postby Jhg » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 9]

There will always be thermals of some degree, somewhere, on any slope no matter how even the temps are. Where I hunt, there is usually a 30-40 minute window when the shift from morning down to day up creates very calm conditions, winds notwithstanding. There are places where down slopes linger longer into the day and you can use them to advantage. Or vice versa. A lot of hunters get caught up high when the switch is to downslope and they still have daylight to hunt down. Know your area and when it suits you, use that knowlege to hunt into places that might otherwise be impossible to access without it.
Jhg

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 17, 2018 •  [Post 10]

So I should start low in the mornings, and high in the evenings?, unless the wind starts howling? Wish I had more comfidence, Gees, the. Closer it get to hunting I doubt myself! Everything i've learned should guide me, new spot always gets me frustrated. I think I'll stick with one area then ill become more confident! No matter I have a good feeling this could be my year for me to find & kill HANK! Good luck to. Everyone and thank you for your. Wisdom.
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 08 18, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Years ago I knew of a teenager that just could not figure out why his grandpa was consistently getting game and he was not. It started to really bother him. They hunted that same area at the same time, so he decided to follow his grandfather around one day. He found out that the old man did not travel fast or go far. He spent his day walking very slow or just sitting and watching hillsides and travel ways.
Take you binoculars and a good lunch. Be patient and don't be pushing away the game. Before I started bow hunting years ago I knew of some older hunters that were successful every year. They hunted the same places each year and just let the elk come to them. One guy sat in a saddle and the other, I am unsure of, but he built a fire and just sat there.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 19, 2018 •  [Post 12]

I used to cover ground like a youngster, now I'm older I've slowed down and started enjoying the scenery, i've seen so many amazing things in the woods. I figure slowing down and wait for other people that have the energy push them to me, I'm not looking forward to loosing my mobility! I really feel for hunters that can't blaze through the woods. I'm really grateful for my health. All you can do is eat healthy, ( wild game) fresh produce, and hope the rest goes well. I started to fish the rivers hoping for fresh fish, its really competitive, but a blast. September the chantrels should be popping through the earth, now that's a blast. Happy hunting to you all!
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 08 19, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Best wishes on your hunt shooter girl. Stay positive as we look forward to seeing pictures of you with your elk.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Thank you Swede, hope you have a great hunting season, this year I feel I'm really ready! Besides the new area, but I know all I've learned I just might get hank! Thank you guys for all your support hope one of you will stop by and say hi. Would be so cool to meet some of you guys!
lilshootergirl

Postby Indian Summer » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 15]

lilshootergirl wrote:Thank you Swede, hope you have a great hunting season, this year I feel I'm really ready! Besides the new area, but I know all I've learned I just might get hank! Thank you guys for all your support hope one of you will stop by and say hi. Would be so cool to meet some of you guys!

A new area brings new hope. But there’s a lot to learn. Just keep your chin up and always tell yourself to go the extra mile and eventually you’ll be rewarded for your efforts. I’ll be thinking of you. Best of luck!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby lilshootergirl » 08 23, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Thank you Indian summer, it's been awhile since I've gotten a elk, this area hold more than I've ever seen! I'm really looking forward to using this new knowledge, playing the wind has always been a challenge, using wind checker should help! It find it hard to tell people at camp where I'm going, cause the wind usually pushes me another direction! So I bought onx map, now I can go without worries, i've downloaded a bunch of maps this summer! Peace of mind.my cousin has it too, and a few other friends. So grateful for this tool.
lilshootergirl

Postby elkstalker » 08 24, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Sounds like you had a good scouting trip and are well set up for your hunt, enjoy it!
elkstalker