Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Last Minute Elk Hunt Checklist.......

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Last Minute Elk Hunt Checklist.......

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 21, 2018 •  [Post 1]

It is almost time! Insomnia anybody…..everybody? It’s been 300 plus days since we last stepped out of the elk woods and headed back to the land of daily, hot showers and Irish Spring soap. Its crunch time now and I’d like to remind everybody of a few things to double check before they head out again. Elk Snot City, Wyoming (population 33 ½ at the last census) is no place to have to purchase a forgotten, needed item.
1. Where the heck are my tags? I thought I put em in my ___________. Put your tags in the lid of your pack now (or other place that you know they’ll make the trip with you).
2. Know the days/hours your meat processor is open in Elk Snot City; a quick call before you head out is worth the effort (write the info down and put it in your super suave elk logo billfold).
3. All gear accounted for, staged, and re-accounted for? Ya, you know the deal…. “Man, I was sure I packed my extra release, my head net, my rain gear, my grunt tube, extra pair of boots, extra bow string, bow/gun repair tools”, etc. Again, small town Wyoming is no place to have to purchase a needed/forgotten piece of gear.
4. Is everything locked down tight at the home front? Gotta ensure everything that you’re normally responsible for at the ol’ ranch is either done, or, arrangements have been made to get it done during your absence. The elk woods is not the time to have an “oh sh….., I forgot to ……..” moment.
5. Rig good to go? Recently serviced (if due), proper tires, windshield wipers fresh and wiper fluid topped off, good spare (not the kind of spare the dad had in A Christmas Story)? Same with your trailer/camper/quad if taken. Proper assortment of tools loaded in the bed or tool box of your truck? Hand tools, axe/bucket/shovel/rake and chainsaw (bar oil/gas can) if taken. I don’t like to travel hundreds of miles with full gas cans in my rig; I’ll fill em up in Elk Snot City before I head into the mountains.
6. Do you have your gallon ice jugs (enough of em) frozen in the garage freezer and ready to go into your 675 quart cooler for the ride over?
7. Camera/cell phone: I give this tidbit its own spot. Whether you’re using a small compact camera or your phone, take pictures of your adventure! This is an area that many of us have severely lacked in over the years.
8. Let somebody know where you're going and your hunting timeline. "Umm, I don't know... haven't seen or heard from RJ since last September" ;)
9. Lasty….. keep safety in your mind at all times; let’s all make it there, have a great hunt, and safe return to our home front. Before (making the long drive), during (hiking the steep hills after singing bulls, taking appropriate clothing for any type of weather each time you head out, not overloading your pack/self when getting an elk out of a hell hole), and after (making the long drive home).

If any of you wild bohemians can add anything else to my brief list, please do so.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Last Minute Elk Hunt Checklist.......

Postby Joe Schmo » 08 21, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Last year I pulled into Elk Snot (Idaho) only to realize that I’d forgotten my rangefinder...20 hours later I’d lost my bugle...20 hours after that I was headed home with my bull :)
Joe Schmo

Postby Navesgane » 08 21, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Don't forget the TP :lol:
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Tigger » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I will add that being out in the wilds is not the same as being home in terms of medical treatment availability. I caution everyone to step carefully, do NOT jump or run or take risky steps. A twisted ankle at home is no fun. In elk camp, it is a disaster. Protect your legs and feet at all times.
Tigger

Postby stringunner » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Don’t forget to kiss the wife on the way out at o dark thirty 3 am tomorrow.

I did that once, 10 days later upon returning she let me know it! And it wasn’t in a positive way. :D
stringunner

Postby saddlesore » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Quite a few years ago, I started to make a list specific for each type of hunt. Each year up grading it as technology and my needs changed. About a month to six weeks before the hunt, I review the list and make any changes. Basically it has come down to that if it isn't on that list,I don't need it or can do without it.

Presently, my M L hunt of Sept 8 gear is stacked in the shop with 90% of the gear ready. I can have the rest ready in a day.Once it is checked off the list,I am good to go.

If I didn't have the list, I'd be hard pressed to eve remember my rifle and license.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I need to add some fresh personal body wipes

As soon as we get home I have a number of honey dos,
All could be put off but to score a happy September for my wife they will be done
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I need to add some fresh personal body wipes

As soon as we get home I have a number of honey dos,
All could be put off but to score a happy September for my wife they will be done
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 22, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Navesgane wrote:Don't forget the TP :lol:

My thoughts exactly :D
I always make sure before I walk out the door I have tags, weapon (ammo/release), and knife. Every thing else is a luxury... most of my hunts the last several years have just been afternoon hunts, I'm hoping to change that around this year
Elkhunttoo

Postby scubohuntr » 08 27, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Electrical tape for tags.

Battery pack to recharge phone, tablet, headlight...

Extra batteries for everything else (rangefinder, GPS, flashlights).

Deer drag strap (block and tackle, gambrel, etc. as appropriate).

Current regulations in hardcopy.

Asthma inhaler.

Tweezers when in cactus country.

Survival gear- firestarter, knife, cordage- everything else is optional but could be handy.

Fix the #@$%&!! brakes on your truck well before season starts, or you won't have the money to do it the week before opener :oops: .
scubohuntr

Postby ishy » 08 27, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Navesgane wrote:Don't forget the TP :lol:

Years ago I had a buddy walk back from "the bushes" with a big rectangle cut out of the front of his camo shirt revealing his bright white undershirt! Still amazed #1 he didn't ask me if I had TP, #2 that he didn't cut around the bottom or back of his shirt. Great fun to hunt with, just not the sharpest.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby CurlyTail » 08 27, 2018 •  [Post 12]

don't forget the Hunter Safety Card if required in your state. I have mine laminated and in the pack, as I never seem to find time to get down to CPW office during the off season. Colorado at least require Hunter Safety Card for non-resident hunters.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.