Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Euro Mount "Field" Prep......

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Euro Mount "Field" Prep......

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 27, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Had somebody send me a PM asking how to break down an elk head for a euro mount. No sense in packing out an entire heavy head and antlers, right? Instead of writing him a long procedural note back (and confusing the poor dude with my dis-jointed rambling/writing), I actually found a pretty darn good VID of how to do it. Ya, it's a deer but the procedures are pretty darn close, just on a smaller scale. No, you don't have to whack the head off first to do this (it seems a bit easier that way though... separate head from neck at first vertebrae).... it can be done with the head still attached...obviously just takes some additional deep cutting to get er done. Pliars (Leatherman or Gerber pliars work fine) really help with the process. This VID doesn't go into the final prep for a Euro mount, i.e., removing brain matter (say, with a piece of wire) but that's what beetles at the taxi are for 8-)

WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Euro Mount "Field" Prep......

Postby CurlyTail » 08 27, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Has anyone seen a Spike Elk European Mount? I think that would look amazing.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Indian Summer » 08 27, 2018 •  [Post 3]

That’s pretty good. He’s fast! Pulled the blade toward himself a couple times. Don’t do that up in the hills! :shock:

An elk’s lower jaw doesn’t come off quite as easily but with a bit more work this method looks pretty good.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lsb » 08 28, 2018 •  [Post 4]

CurlyTail wrote:Has anyone seen a Spike Elk European Mount? I think that would look amazing.

I've got one
Lsb