Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Snow, go-no-go

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Snow, go-no-go

Postby Lefty » 08 29, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Some of you may have used Tolerance go- no-go , so the title was a word play.
After last year hunting fresh snow twice , No matter the day I’m headed to elk country if we expect snow

Most years if there was snow it was days old and melting.
Snow camo will be in the truck ready to go.

Last year we had one snow where couldn’t get up the road then hunted lower elevation so we hunted “up”

Any great experiences hunting in the snow
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Snow, go-no-go

Postby saddlesore » 08 29, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I don't know if it was great, but the last snow hunt experience I had ,we had to chain up all 4 wheels on two 4wd diesels, and chain the trucks together to be able to pull an empty 20 ft goose neck up the mountain.Then go back and do it again with the 2nd trailer,then pony the 4 mules in back the truck to get everything out. I don't get real excited about hunting in snow anymore.Great hunting,but it sure can be a PITA.
This was the year Colorado permitted three elk tags. I had two cow tags and my partner had cow and bull tag for the 2nd rifle season.Then we each had a cow tag for the 3rd season. We filled the 4 tags for the 2nd on opening day, and spent the rest of the week getting out.Never did have any hankering to go back in there and fill two more tags. The top picture was that season

image.jpg
image.jpg (60.81 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
saddlesore

Postby scubohuntr » 08 30, 2018 •  [Post 3]

A couple of decades ago I hunted western North Dakota in a foot or so of new powder, -25°, sleeping in the back of my Ramcharger. Oh wait, you were asking about great experiences. This wasn't one of those.
scubohuntr

Postby Lefty » 08 30, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Saddle sore we weren’t able to get in
A couple years back snow collapsed our tent
Lots of snow I don’t care for

-18 is the coldest camp I’ve been in
Keeps the riff raff in town
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkstalker » 08 30, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Love hunting elk in the snow, my first bull was on opening day of rifle season and 8" of new snow in MT. I've killed a couple bulls tracking them back to their beds in the snow. It sure makes hauling them out on a sled easier, although I was almost taken out by a fully loaded sled on a 30 degree slope once :lol:
elkstalker