Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Who else!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Who else!!

Postby Lefty » 08 31, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Im not sure if I should rub this in,.. But in 30 minutes Im headed to set up elk camp and will be hunting elk in the morning!!!

Maybe the only bad thing about the hunt now is 60% of the area has phone service and 90% of the area we can text.
Maybe Ill send a picture of camp 8-)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Who else!!

Postby Tigger » 08 31, 2018 •  [Post 2]

please send picture of camp and a grip and grin with an elk!
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 08 31, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Im heading out today myself. Elk isnt open yet, im heading out for a few days of deer hunting before i have to go back to alaska. Got a date with a big 6x6 whitey.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Losefreeze » 08 31, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Heading back out myself tonight for a few days in the elk/deer woods. Hunt safe and hope to be hanging a photo soon.
Losefreeze

Postby Joe Schmo » 08 31, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Good luck boys!! Wyoming bound in two days!!
Joe Schmo

Postby wawhitey » 08 31, 2018 •  [Post 6]

My job just got pushed back a bit. Now i get to hunt sept 1st-8th instead of 1st-3rd. Life is good!
wawhitey

Postby Lsb » 08 31, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Finished up laying out a cabin, loading up the truck now. Headed in about 4. The hunt starts tomorrow.... :D

Good luck all.
Lsb

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 31, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Good luck out there guys!
Leaving next Wednesday for my hunt. hunting from the 5th to the 15th.
Need to sharpen broadheads and finish packing a few things up. Hoping to have some good pictures and detailed stories to share.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Lsb » 08 31, 2018 •  [Post 9]

We're just in for the weekend. The wife and I have tags good on some great private property we'll hunt later. This spot is special to us and this year my daughter is hunting. So I'll have the wife and daughter out front and hopefully call a bull in for them, that would make my year.
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 09 01, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I may be able to post a pic tomorrow when we go into town .
On my way into where we hunt The cows and sheep were all gone from 3 big pastures. The local rancher reported a grizzlie in the area. I was hoping he made up the story, unfortunately another hunter saw a perfect track earlier this week
Light frost this morning, our 2nd set up elk came from down wind they didn’t spook hard .
We caught up to them later but they just kept going.

Back at camp my daughter tried to stalk a doe, four cows with 3 calve slipped past the trucks 80 yards away.

Lots of atv and utvers our and about

Tonight my daughter thought she should get closer to a fork mulie all the time she needed at 22 yards

Then this evening we called in a bull with two cows, they spotted my daughter and were gone
I never heard them coming
A great day hunting
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 02, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Camp

38119598-21FD-4A34-8F9C-D4AB6C9C192C.jpeg
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 02, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Yikes, you forgot the tent! Or, trailer. :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 09 02, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Tent went up today
Attachments
DF352746-FD97-458B-B0EE-5F57A367F32E.jpeg
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 02, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Sweet! Great looking campsite.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 02, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Good luck lefty!!
Elkhunttoo

Postby wawhitey » 09 02, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Seen as many wolves as deer so far. :evil:
wawhitey

Postby six » 09 03, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Leaving in 9 days can't wait.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Lsb » 09 03, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Tough sledding here. Not one bugle in 3 days, we'll hit em again next week
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 09 04, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Lsb wrote:Tough sledding here. Not one bugle in 3 days, we'll hit em again next week

Evidently there were three answering bugles. I no longer hear those not so distant bugles.
I only heard the one bugle yesterday morning. We were walking in. The light was poor . As we walked down I pointed out some track. Then told may daughter those looked real fresh. She set up in front of a hedge row of fir. I setup behind her 30 yards. I made a lazy locate bugle, waited 30 seconds then made another and a bull fired back well under 100 yards,..
I blew it. I wanted to respond with a with a little more excitement bugle , unfortunately the sound was more like a bark :oops: ,.. I think I just edged the group on their way. They didnt seem to spook,.. but I couldn't convince them in coming back.

Yeah!! my reed went bad :roll: Well, Actually I choked,.. And the reed was going bad"
The reed was old and Im to blame, in my excitement I put too much air through and the reed stretched, I replaced the reed after the next set up. :cry: :oops:

Saturday night a bull bugled back and brought at least two cows. The cows were noisy all the way to us. The elk hustled up a canyon wall I never expected them to climb. I had placed my daughter 60 yards from where they actually came over the rim.
My daughter tried to cut the the angle,..And wanted me to move forward towards her then she got caught moving in. She hesitated too much.

Im trying to break my daughter of the hesitation thing and follow some of my instruction if she doesnt know what to do. She is "too much" "cowgirl" and doesnt listen to mom and dads suggestions very often.
We had a nice little forky mulie under 22 yards. and she wanted to get closer. She had well over 30 seconds that foolish little buck just stood and looked. (I have a whitetail tag).

We also has something else charge in: a bull! a cow! a wolf! a really fast bear! I think it was an elk; it was some sort of funky growl up on a hill side 200 yards away then about 80 yards. My daughter said it made plenty of noise walking around; sticks and brush , then walking away so we think it was an elk,... just too much noise for a bear or wolf. ( we did have a canine making some weird noises near camp. My daughter wanted it to be a wolf because of the volume,.. but Ive heard coyotes make some really bizarre sounds.How ever in her perception we haven't heard any coyotes because of the wolf population, but saw tracks and droppings from both.
Lefty

Postby Lsb » 09 04, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Sounds like a good start to the year Lefty.
Lsb

Postby Lefty » 09 04, 2018 •  [Post 21]

Lsb wrote:Sounds like a good start to the year Lefty.

I thought so,..
My wife sent a text that wee needed to bring meat home,... She doesn't get it,... that's not why I hunt the meat is just another bonus.
Lefty

Postby Lsb » 09 04, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Lefty wrote:
Lsb wrote:Sounds like a good start to the year Lefty.

I thought so,..
My wife sent a text that wee needed to bring meat home,... She doesn't get it,... that's not why I hunt the meat is just another bonus.

I'm not touching that one :shock:
Lsb

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 23]

This is great. We can follow along remotely. I am itching so badly to hunt. No elk hunting for me this year but I have a few other trips planned (Adirondack bivy hunt for deer or bear, VT deer for a week). I'll live update a thread when I go.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Waygoner » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 24]

Leaving this afternoon for the opening day of muzzle loader in Colorado. Temps have been dropping this week and the aspens are turning.
Waygoner

Postby Lefty » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 25]

VT Sasquatch wrote:This is great. We can follow along remotely. I am itching so badly to hunt. ,,,,go.

I can help
Came up last night was able to set up once before dark. A big disappointment; a fresh wolf track.
Hunted some nasty spruce blowdown, lots of fresh sign, go wind most of the time but no responses. I came ou around 2:00 a pickup and a camp nearby. So off to check trail cams
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 26]

No pic but some groves of quakes are yellow
Attachments
69061E61-50CF-4160-A0DE-2B4CF663B61C.jpeg
FA5B41C9-1F2C-4AF1-B6A4-280710DC0094.jpeg
Lefty

Postby Roosiebull » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 27]

wawhitey wrote:My job just got pushed back a bit. Now i get to hunt sept 1st-8th instead of 1st-3rd. Life is good!

that is awesome!

i'm trying not to work until I kill a bull, close again tonight.... it'll line up soon :P

good luck guys!!
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 09 10, 2018 •  [Post 28]

9/8 9/9 elk hunt with Julie
My daughter came up to our hunt unit,.. we met just shortly after 5:00 for an evening hunt. I planned to hunt an area that had always held elk. Unfortunately The area had been totally violated by three bands of sheep after the cows had been taken off. The only growth on the forest floor was rocks.
The air had become putrid from the smoke from a nearby forest fire. We called off the last 40 minutes of the hunt to shortcut to the truck.
3:30 AM Maybe a coyote woke me,.. maybe a moo-cow mooing. I slipped on my slippers then watered a nearby sagebrush., the stars were amazing! I crawled back in the truck and noticed distinct vehicle lights approaching on the dead end forest service road. Another hunter coming in hours before light! and parked where I had parked Thursday and Friday. Ill sit at the truck and listen,.. but I don’t walk around in the dark in grizzly country. I fell back asleep.
The fellow hunter had parked down at the end of the forest service road and I wasn’t sure where he was hunting,.. With an east wind I suggested to my daughter that we work the timber from the west. As we walked in my daughter spotted couple of mulie does. I mentioned the one appeared to be a buck. At 120 yards the light wasn’t good enough to make out head gear. . I gave her some instruction and she was off. At 60 yards she got busted. Some of you may see a continued theme from my daughter,.. doing her thing and not following suggestions. I asked about the buck,.. “ There wasn’t a buck” and off we were,,, I asked, then told her to slow down,… stop! ,.. and there was the little 20 inch buck starring at us, then bounding away with his buddy!
We set up just inside the edge of the timber. I made one quieter bugle that I cast behind us and waited 8-9 minutes,.. I didn’t want to bump anything on the edge.
We walked in another 300 yards and over a big ridge; the wind had changed slightly, but was still good. We set up along some real think nasty blowdown. My daughter on one corner.’ me just 22 yards away ,.. but out of sight of my daughter.
I cast a long lazy bugle behind me.
Two minutes.
Three minutes.
Four minutes.
Then the crashing of trees logs and limbs echoed up towards us,.. It had been nearly a minute of crashing before we spotted the bulls. The two bigger bulls were forcing their way through the timber and blowdown . . The sun had peaked into the side hill and every so often A flash from antlers, with trees shaking back and forth as the bulls pushed on.. Antlers flashed , 35 yards below me,.. . I repositioned myself with the guess the bull would give me a20 yards frontal shot in seconds. Then a flash of elk hide off towards my daughter another bull was in front of her. Either bull It was time to draw.
The sound of my daughters bow-string,…and nearly the same time; did she just shoot a tree? The woods was full of crashing and booming. I kept following the sound of the bull she shot at.
The sounds quieted down.
“Dad” “ I shot high” “way too high” She was disappointed . “The arrow didn’t go in very far” We waited 30 minutes . We both tried to measure her shot distance,.. too close to range with my Nikon and her Vortex. I stepped it off 9 short uphill steps. Maybe 22 feet.
Julie shared how she couldn’t stop shaking as two bull walked straight towards her. The smallest bull was able to pass the larger bull going through the blowdown. At first she said she was going to wait for the big bull. ( I never saw that bull)
I had been watching a third bull
The 3x3 turned broad side.
She told the story how easy it was to pull her bow back, I mentioned there may have been a bit of adrenaline flow. She said at first she was so excited her bow was pointed way-to-high. Maybe aiming with only her broadhead tip!. She then used her peep sight
Unfortunately she said as soon as she came down on the small bulls shoulder she shot.
Between the 2nd and third bound the bull broke off the arrow.
After 4 hours ,. of tracking. With only 4 small locations of blood spots that equaled less than a teaspoon I was convinced it was a high shoulder blade hit.
We did go in and check a little area we were saving for the rut. Unfortunately sheep had been run through there in the past couple weeks,.. The elk were gone for now.
Our next hunt together will be the 20,21, 22 So no pics on the meat pole ,.. for us,.. yet!
And maybe a few other stories of success will be posted up!
Lefty

Postby elkstalker » 09 10, 2018 •  [Post 29]

Wow! So close, keep at it and she'll get it done. Sometimes it takes taking that shot to shake off the nerves for the next one... Thanks for sharing, and best of luck on your next hunt! I'm biding my time for my October 1st rifle elk hunt in the lemhis, can't wait, these stories will have to tide me over until then!
elkstalker

Postby Lefty » 09 10, 2018 •  [Post 30]

elkstalker wrote:,,,r my October 1st rifle elk hunt in the lemhis,
You may run into my neighbors taking down their camp on the Saturday the 29th.
I enjoy that country,.. and may move my bear baiting hunting that direction. 8-)
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 10, 2018 •  [Post 31]

Lefty wrote:
elkstalker wrote:,,,r my October 1st rifle elk hunt in the lemhis,
You may run into my neighbors taking down their camp on the Saturday the 29th.
I enjoy that country,.. and may move my bear baiting hunting that direction. 8-)

She is just fine goose hunting,.. as a Jr in HS she went 29 geese and a duck with 32 shots.
she placed two shots on an antelope at 425 and 427 yards 3/4 inch apart. But she is a lot like her dad. Chokes on the elk :shock: :?
But lets face it a bull charging in and stopping that close is more than just awesome. And for me a bit indescribable expierience.
Lefty

Postby elkstalker » 09 10, 2018 •  [Post 32]

It's enough to get any of us shaking!
elkstalker

Postby Lefty » 09 10, 2018 •  [Post 33]

elkstalker wrote:It's enough to get any of us shaking!

I hope so,.. just another reason to hunt
Lefty

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 10, 2018 •  [Post 34]

Great write up... it always comes down to a game of inches. Sounds like you are enjoying retirement :D ... keep after em
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 09 13, 2018 •  [Post 35]

What a day :

Yesterday I slept in until 6:10 , when my wife got up . My plan was to leave for a hunt at noon, but I just couldn’t leave without finishing canning pickles and having the riding lawn mower going.

I arrived at a hunt location shortly after 6:00 in the evening
As I walked in I could smell and see the smoke from a fire a few miles away.
The wind switched from the north. I Wasn’t going to work the timber as planned. An easy walk in. As I neared my first location the wind was all wrong again.
I started to back out and thought I could walk a mile and glass back to this area to see if there were elk .
Twenty minutes later; a bugle, and another then many more, I worked my way closer, the elk cows and calves were having a party as it sounded like two herds joining together. I glassed and could see scattered cows, while the bulls kept sounding off: I had 20 minutes of good light. Do I go for it! or not!
I moved in another 300 yards through rocks, and brush. The quakie stand reeked of elk.
Still 300 yards to the nearest cow .
I saw were I would sit for the shot. I stepped down below the sharp ridge line. Unpacked my gear, tossed a bugle behind, ran and sat down beside a fir that could be the perfect Christmas tree.
Maybe a minute had passed ; antlers weaving through the quickies. I drew my bow. The bull stopped, I put my pin where it belonged on the bull.
Perfect!
I realized there were dozens of stunted small, leaf-less quakes in the way, I held as long as I could and then tried to let down, the bull bolted a short distance from my movement. As I drew again the bull charged down the hill . The herd bull called back. I glassed for a few more minutes I’ll be back tomorrow morning

Now morning I love the sound of rain but it’s too wet to walk around.
The rain really cleared the smoke out except in the deep valleys and basins a little late but I’ll go in after the herd bull, but will shoot any satellite
- [ ]
Lefty