Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Need Opinions on a Strategy - Bad Wind

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Need Opinions on a Strategy - Bad Wind

Postby longmire » 09 05, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Hey everyone, I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out a way to make a strategy work for this location.

I have a location in Oregon that is fairly small and tucked in between private ranches. There is a public section that I've been hunting that is 3 miles long by just over 1 mile wide. On the South end is a large ridge and there are lots of draws North facing. On the North end of the property is a good food and water source that has a large heard of elk frequenting it daily. Most of the elk hang out on that private ranch but occasionally pop onto public. I'm headed out for 6 days from the 11th to the 16th and I'm hoping to position myself in the morning close to the boundary on the North where the elk are. They were already firing up when I was out opening weekend so I'm planning on calling mostly unless I can spot something. Terrain is lots of scattered junipers.

Here's my problem, there's no way I can get below these elk in the morning so I have good wind. Almost everywhere I set up my wind will be at my back going right to the elk. Do you guys have any ideas on how to hunt this type of location? There are a number of really good glassing locations that would put me within 300-500 yards of where the elk are but I'm worried I'll be to far to make a play if any of them cross to public, plus I don't really want to try calling them from up on those glassing spots.
longmire

Re: Need Opinions on a Strategy - Bad Wind

Postby cohunter » 09 05, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Sounds like the kind of place you have to wait until evening to hunt. But most likely they'll start heading down while the uphill thermals are still in their face. I've got a spot like this on public land where a band of cliffs has made an approach virtually impossible. Often elk are where you find them for a reason - in this case, protection. :idea: That didn't sound too bright.
cohunter

Postby Tigger » 09 05, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Can you spike out and spend the night somewhere on the NE or NW corner away from them and then you will be low at sunrise?
Tigger

Postby Roosiebull » 09 05, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Can you circle around the area in the dark, or would that even matter?

One of the spots we hunted opening week took some creativity to make work, mostly just a bunch of extra walking in the dark.

Draw us a rough picture
Roosiebull

Postby Indian Summer » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Not sure what to tell you. But it sounds like a tree stand could help somehow. That’s a tough one so I’d have to see the place. Sometimes you just have to tell yourself “That’s why the elk feel comfortable there”.

Welcome to our forums Longmire.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Jhg » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I hunt a slope with similar issues- if I go in early the down drafts take my scent. If I go in late same thing. Only answer is get under them at night the long way around then hunt up, so I feel your frustration. I think you are smart not to get impatient. Any way you can "shave the wind"? That is, stalk in on them so you are playing the scent stream at an angle? Try to determine how close you can get doing this. If it is in your shot range try it. But its a delicate dance. You have to be willing to back out if the angle isn't going to work and try again later. I have done this and bet my scent was crossing beyond them only a few yards away but they never knew. (An inch is as good as a mile) Be careful and good luck.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Is it possible to camp the night before to move from a better position?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H