Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Strategy - What would you have done?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Strategy - What would you have done?

Postby adamds22 » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Last weekend found a herd of 30ish elk, one decent bull and some raghorns/spikes but mostly cows and calves. I was about 1000+ yards away when I spotted them right at treeline and I was above them at the top of a ridge.

Anyway long story short, I played the wind, got downwind of them at treeline and started closing the distance between me and the herd through the trees going in silent the whole way. I was able to close to within about 75-100 yards but where they were I felt like I was going to get busted had I gone any further. I decided to setup in the shadows and do some soft cow calls (don't feel like I am a bad caller). Anyway, as soon as I cow called they busted and the bull pushed the cows right past me about 100 yards up the hill from me. I cow called again and the bull stopped but eventually took off after his cows.

I feel like I should have stayed quiet, tried to find the direction they were headed and tried to get ahead of them but I feel like this was just waiting for me to get winded. Like an idiot, I left my bugle tube in my pack at the top of the mountain but rather than cow call should I have bugled or raked trees?

Prior to me taking off to stalk them the bigger bull was pushing out one of the rag horns if that makes any difference.
adamds22

Re: Strategy - What would you have done?

Postby Lsb » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Imo. If you are within 75 yards of a bull with cows, bugle. You should be close enough to force him to fight, most of the time. Of course I've had them gather up and run too. But my rule of thumb is inside 75 bugle.
Lsb

Postby cohunter » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 3]

It's tough... I had a similar scenario last week and I did bugle but there happened to be a cow that had a clear view of my general location (I hadn't noticed her) and when I bugled she popped her head out to take a look - when she saw there was nothing there she took off and the whole crew followed. It sounds like this might be what happened to you.
cohunter

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I would guess cohunter is right. My guess is that they had already caught some movement from you and when the cow call came they were out. I've ran off my share of elk and still will, the bugle might have been better but I really wonder if the raking a tree/panting/a little ground stomping might of stirred there Curiosity more....it's a great game of chess :) . Sometimes we make the right moves and sometimes we don't. Glad you had a close encounter, keep at em
Elkhunttoo

Postby Jhg » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

IMO, for you to show up as an unrecognized cow and call to the group softly in those terrain conditions is a flag to them in a called area. I think you played it well right up to the cow call. The bull wasn't so sure, but he chose to stay with what he had over coming back to you, the new cow. I wonder, do you think you would have been able to wait and see if the bull was circling the group to sight check every 1/2 hrs or so? I think once he was on your side of the group he may have come over if it was easy for him to do so. I think the rag horn /bull encounter is telling in that you could have set him up you being another bull trying to call a cow with a soft chuckle (better callers please input on that idea).

I have had bulls with cows bail with hearing display raking, roundup bugles, and cow calls. Sometimes they are very sensitive to intrusions from other elk unless they see them. I think Paul is right by suggesting you have to set them up 1st someway, with "a call they will accept" I think he puts it.
Jhg

Postby adamds22 » 09 07, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Thanks everyone, I'm back at it this weekend sucks when something doesn't work because I feel hesitant to call again in that situation but I think acting like a bull rather than a cow would have helped. Or I do like the suggestion of getting in and waiting for the bull to circle the cows. Regardless, I won't be leaving my bugle behind again thats for sure! Hopefully I find myself in the same situation this weekend!
adamds22

Postby Swede » 09 21, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I agree with Cohunter here. You are not going to get a "decent bull" to come out and fight on September 1st or 2nd. He doesn't not sound like he could handle a big bull at any time; so I doubt you will get him to come out to fight on September 22nd either if he can take off with the herd.
Since the herd could not see an elk they spooked. A good rule is to ask yourself, are you set up so they cannot see your hiding spot? Do they need to come within shooting range to see what called? If you can see them, they can see your location.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics