Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wyoming unsuccessful elk hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wyoming unsuccessful elk hunt

Postby Sticknstringer » 09 12, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Just got back from my 2nd unsuccessful elk hunt. 6 days in 10k altitude. Found lots of old sign, rubs, tracks, and droppings. Anywhere from a week to a couple months old. Did find some fresh sign but not alot. Had bugles around camp an hour after dark. We checked high flats for bedding areas slowly hunting across them. Our hope was to catch something around 830 am still feeding before bedding.Tried slow hunting down ridges, shells, saddles ect...We tried 80 plus calls, tried sitting an active wallow for a couple hours. We tried everything we could think of except going up the steep edges of a ridge due to blow down. Had 2 times where we could hear one coming in but winds were switching everywhere.
Were new to elk hunting but we put 34 miles on our boots and I figured we would eventually luck out to get one in Sight and bow range. Frustrating hunt but I guess that's elk hunting. As a deer hunter I can go shoot a deer at our farm whenever i go but this is 100 percent more difficult. We will go again in 2 or 3 years. Time to start researching and scouting again. Any advice is welcomed
Sticknstringer

Re: Wyoming unsuccessful elk hunt

Postby Swede » 09 12, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I am sorry you did not get one Stick. Usually it takes awhile to get thins figured out so you can consistently get elk. Ultimately you want to know your hunting area and the aggravating critters you are after. Do you suppose I would have the success you have in your area going after deer? Hang in there, and pay attention to topics and tips by the more successful hunters here on WapitiTalk.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Wyo67 » 09 13, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Sorry to hear that stick, but don't get discouraged. Where you out before 8:30? Seems late to me. If you're trying to catch them feeding, it would be best to be out at your glassing points and looking at sunrise and the last hour before sunset. If you're sure the wallow was active (still wet mud that was slung around, stinks of elk etc...), you might have wanted to dedicate more than a couple of hours to it. Not sure where you're at it Wyoming, but in the southern half it's been hot and dry the last couple of weeks and that might have paid off especially if it was close to the bugles you were hearing at night.

If you haven't done so, invest in some of the products out there to help you. We invested in ElkNuts Worse Than Wolves DVDs several years ago and it and several other follow on products have helped us fill quite a few tags over the years. Still follow his and other hunters on their individual websites and other community sites such as YouTube.
Wyo67

Postby Tigger » 09 13, 2018 •  [Post 4]

One of the things that seasoned whitetail hunters bring to the elk woods is the concept that a good looking meadow or area will produce elk. In my experience, that isn't so. You have to find the elk. I have heard Indian Summer say it a lot, a drainage might look perfect for elk, but they are over the ridge in another drainage for some unknown reason. 34 miles divided by 6 days is between 5 and 6 miles per day. We typically put on 12-18 miles per day (measured by step count so everything is included). If you know where elk are, that number goes down considerably, but if you aren't in to elk, you need to find them. that is my free advice and it is probably worth what you paid for it!
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 09 13, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Any time I’m hunting I’m successful just being there.

Two years ago was my :” bad year” but I was elk hunting.
I use to put in lots of miles, now if there are elk and elevation 3 to 7or 8 miles but that varies too last night I covered 6 miles but way to much of that in the dark.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Sticknstringer » 09 13, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Appreciate the advice from everyone. There wasnt much for glassing in our area. Thick timber with meadows surrounded by thick timber. As flatlanders we were definitely out of our element with the amount we covered. Should have trained harder. We did enjoy being out in the forest. It was exciting thinking that the next call could be the time we get one to come in. My question is would the elk leave 10k altitude to move down toward a breeding ground at like 8 to 9k. Seemed like alot of old with some fresh. Were already talking about our next hunt going a week later. It's a challenge for us and I'm all ears to anyone with alot of experience and to those who struggled as we did.
Sticknstringer