Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scouting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scouting

Postby Swede » 09 13, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I poured over G.E. and different maps to prepare for my field scouting this year. I had been over in that area before and scouted some. In July I went again, then I had about three days of scouting before the season opened. I took several days to look around for tree stand locations during the season. In all, I ended up with about four good to very good tree stand locations. All the others were just fair at best. It is interesting that the best locations were found just before the season opened or during the hunt.
Google Earth and the maps were not much help. Boots on the ground at hunting time was by far the best. Still it will take years to get this new area figured out.
What has been your experience? and how much of your hunt time do you dedicate to scouting?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Scouting

Postby Navesgane » 09 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Well since a group out of state ML'ers have invaded my usual areas this season, Ive been finding new areas while hunting. One area is a small marshy meadow surrounded by steeps with several wallows that don't look to have been used lately, but next season you can bet I'll have a blind built there for opening weekend. Another area is close to private land and seemed inaccessible on maps and GE, but I discovered if I took the long way around it, theres some sweet areas that have heavy elk sign. Bot of these areas are about an acre in size and basically look like a pinhead surrounded by a bunch of tight lines on a topo map.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Jhg » 09 17, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I would say I discover important habitat information equally between boot scouting and hunting. Last few yrs I focus on pockets around what is obvious from internet scouting. No hunters there. Most take the easy and obvious answers and that works for me. BOG is always better. It is amazing how much better.
Jhg

Postby Indian Summer » 09 18, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I find most of my own new spots while hunting. The reason for that is they are just one more ridge or hole away from my original spot. In other words I’m just expanding my horizons. I do look them over on topos and Game Planner Maps but it’s not like I’m in search mode. I’m just seeing what I’ll be getting into when I get there. I already know there are elk there.

Once I kill an elk it’s a different story. Time to go prospecting! You can never know enough areas. I absolutely love exploring! I wish I was around to ride along with Lewis and Clark. You might strike gold. I don’t go blind. I look at Game Planner and topos and I have a plan just as I would if I was going hunting there. Nothing beats scouting while it is hunting season. For that reason I’m really motivated and I get early starts and cover lots of ground. If I find what I hope to find but I decide to stay stuck in my rut and go back to my old spot I put together a hunt plan and pass it on to a client.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro