Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Is it too early...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Is it too early...

Postby Stykbow14 » 09 14, 2018 •  [Post 1]

...to start planning for 2019? Haven't been home from Colorado a week and already going through withdrawls! We came home empty but had great opportunities and got into elk when no-one else seemed to. That was encouraging!

Now to the question: I'll be taking my 77 yo father to Colorado in 2019 and he prefers rifle. He goes every other year. That means I can't go to CO for archery. So I'm looking for an alternative state so I can bowhunt elk next September. I'm a long way from home in any case so where we go isn't that big a concern. Airplanes fly almost everywhere! Looking for OTC options but should note I have 3 pps in Wyoming. I'll try anywhere with reasonable terrain and no grizzly bears. Any thoughst or suggestions?
Stykbow14

Re: Is it too early...

Postby Lefty » 09 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Stykbow14 wrote:. and no grizzly bears. Any thoughts or suggestions?

A few positives about griz country:
You get more sleep, because you dont bugle or walk around in the dark
Fewer hunters,.. seems some of the smart hunters wont hunt those units
Improves skill level,.. adrenaline intensifies learning.

No multiple meat pack out trips Ive also heard that it often is a waste of effort retrieving game left overnight in some areas.

I know my wife loves me, I am of more value.. she just upped my life insurance since I hunt in a grizzle unit :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Joe Schmo » 09 16, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I always start planning next season while the tears in my eyes are still fresh from this season... never too early.
Joe Schmo

Postby Stykbow14 » 09 19, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Just something about the thought of being somethings elses dinner....
Stykbow14

Postby Indian Summer » 09 20, 2018 •  [Post 5]

3 points for Wyoming! Well then there’s no question. If you are interested in a hunt plan I have one that might suit you well. Rifle season starts September 24th. Great weather for your dad but also if you have the time you could bow hunt some great dates, then armed with knowledge from those days get your dad out there on the gun opener. Bulls are still bugling. It’s beautiful country too. You might decide to do all of your bow hunting there when you have the points to draw a general license. Let me know if you’re interested and we can talk more about the area. No grizzlies there by the way.

See the website for more info on DIY hunt plans.

www.headinwest.net
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Fridaythe13th » 09 20, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I agree with the grizzlies. There is something about hunting, while being hunted. That isn't for me.

No it's never to early to plan next year. The group was looking into next year plans on the last night of this year's hunt.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby RAMMONT » 09 20, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Fridaythe13th wrote:I agree with the grizzlies. There is something about hunting, while being hunted. That isn't for me.

No it's never to early to plan next year. The group was looking into next year plans on the last night of this year's hunt.

It just adds to the challenge. :twisted:
RAMMONT

Postby Stykbow14 » 09 22, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer....I'll send you an email!
Stykbow14