Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Antler restrictions on bull elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Antler restrictions on bull elk

Postby RedSpruce » 09 14, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but in areas that have "significant" antler restrictions on elk (like certain areas of Colorado) do you find the restrictions are working to increase the number of branch antlered and/or mature bulls in those areas?

Thanks
RedSpruce

Re: Antler restrictions on bull elk

Postby Swede » 09 14, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I don't understand what the game departments are doing. In one area, or hunt time, it is spikes only. In another area it is 3 point or larger. Both situations are claimed to be increasing the number of branched antlered bulls. I think there is too much micro-management.
Fishing regulations are even worse.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 09 15, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Its made a difference where I hunt. Always the chance the next bull will be a lifetime trophy. Given the pressures the DOW gets from various interests I think they do a pretty good job making were I hunt a great place to be an elk hunter. Sure, its not perfect, but I try to remember these are people just like me, working hard to do the best job they can. I feel better with this attitude. After actually talking to the head biologists, I realized they are very dedicated.
Jhg

Postby Indian Summer » 09 15, 2018 •  [Post 4]

The brow tine regulation in Montana similar to the no spikes ine in many Wyoming units is priceless. Letting spikes walk can only help. They can’t grow branch antlers in the freezer right! It definitely works where I hunt.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 09 15, 2018 •  [Post 5]

The strategy I don't care for is the spike only hunt. It gives more people a chance to hunt, and increases revenue, but success is usually under 5%. If reducing the kill is all that important, I would prefer it be a draw area.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby RedSpruce » 09 15, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I guess limiting tags (a quota) would work better than aprs or other restictions on what bull elk are legal?
RedSpruce

Postby Jhg » 09 15, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Swedes point makes a lot of sense. A draw unit does not have to mean you need to wait 15 years to get a tag either.
I don't think it helps hunters to manage a unit to produce such toads that it takes half a usable hunting lifetime to draw the unit, then find out that outfitters and zealots have been glassing the biggest bulls all summer anyway, and know exactly where they are this minute opening morning. Sort of takes the fun out of hunting IMO ,when an area becomes such a hot commodity people nearly fight over it.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 09 16, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:The strategy I don't care for is the spike only hunt. It gives more people a chance to hunt, and increases revenue, but success is usually under 5%. If reducing the kill is all that important, I would prefer it be a draw area.

Part of Idahos plan: restricted hunts allow everyone to hunt,.. but reduces take by the typical hunter.

I do my part,, I do call and release :oops: hunting.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 09 16, 2018 •  [Post 9]

The 4 pt restriction in CO made a big difference. Up and til that went into effect, you very seldom saw a branch antlered bull.
saddlesore

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 17, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Saddlesore is right. The 4 point restriction has worked in Colorado. Only problem is, they all get shot off and you very seldom ever see any mature bulls. However, it does give the spikes a year or so to grow up a little. Personally, I'd be happy to see a 6 point restriction. It would be nice to see a good bull once in awhile!
>>>---WW---->