Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scenario- what would you have done?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scenario- what would you have done?

Postby Jhg » 09 15, 2018 •  [Post 1]

From a meadow I hunt I heard a roundup bugle just shy of hunting light. Good! I planned on getting above them, next to a very discrete saddle that they use to access their bedding area and/or go over into the next drainage. The wind shears to the North when it downslopes and I can just shave the scent stream enough to get a shot...

So there I was, waiting, just dozing off, (oh well) when another bugle comes up to me and only 150yds! It was already 9:30 by this time and with the heat etc the upslopes had been in full force. Cows appeared first, 50 plus yards downslope and to my right, the dappled light of a hot day already making it hard to see them in the black timber unless they moved. No shots whatsoever. They were on course to pass me too far away and intercept the now upslope scent stream as they approached parallel to my position. Just when I thought it was up, (I mean literally another 4 feet and the lead cow would have busted me for sure) the lead cow turned a perfect right angle and walked in front of me at 10 yards.

Broadside, relaxed and in no particular hurry, a bowhunters dream. I was ready, arrow already nocked, tension on the string. Good body position for a clean shot. I raised my bow arm, and she shied at the unexpected movement, bolting downslope 25yds. But now there was really no shot lane and she only was giving me a very steep quartering shot. Not good odds.
So I said well nothing doing in this scenario so I reached for my bugle. I could see the bulls tine tips just below me. Why not make him think the bolting cows was from another bull. A mild roundup bugle should do it.
Well, no. He was out of there, and followed his cows into the coulda/shoulda fireside chat memory card we all carry with us.

What could I have done differently? They were heading out anyway. The cows saw me, never got my scent. The bull never did either, sight or smell. But I feel somehow I blew a real gift there, when I went to raise my bow.

Thanks.
Jhg

Re: Scenario- what would you have done?

Postby Swede » 09 15, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Your scenario is very similar to what happened twice to me this season. I chalk it up to another frustrating encounter and continue hunting. Sometimes I take out an energy bar and chew on that as I think of what might have been. When things don't work out I just continue to hunt and try to focus on the next opportunity.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 09 16, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Jhg wrote:,,,,,,into the coulda/shoulda fireside chat memory card we all carry with us. ,,,,,,.

My coulda/shoulda fireside chat memory card should be full.
My last three bull encounters this past week I didnt speak the correct language at the correct time,...
Well one bull I think smelled me , he nervous grunted 3 times but walked slowly like he didnt care ,.. then back to the cows
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Jesse208 » 09 22, 2018 •  [Post 4]

This doesn’t help but I would have either done what you did or stayed silent and let down which probably wouldn’t have worked either. Good scenario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jesse208

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 23, 2018 •  [Post 5]

In most cases if an elk catches your movement you are done! She runs off with ears back & head held high, it's worse than a bark! All elk know by her behavior there's a threat in the area & to immediately vacate! Avoid movement avoid detection & your odds increase dramatically. Draw when they cannot see you do so & avoid that frustration! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Roosiebull » 09 24, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Your scenario is very similar to what happened twice to me this season. I chalk it up to another frustrating encounter and continue hunting. Sometimes I take out an energy bar and chew on that as I think of what might have been. When things don't work out I just continue to hunt and try to focus on the next opportunity.

pretty much depicts it well!

I have bugled after busting elk a few times, 2 times it worked, but the situation has to be right. in both cases the bull was pushing cows all over and already worked up, so he was caught up in the moment ignoring the signs that danger is near.

I have done it and had it go just like the story above. if the bull is mellow and just chilling with the cows, bugling every 20-40 minutes just to keep the ladies in check, it has a low chance of working. if the bull is bugling at everything, and chasing cows all over, and creating his own chaos, the sound of another bull in his realm will likely bring him in.

in all reality, ending up in bow range of a herd of elk being chased non stop by a crazed bull is kind of hard to mess up, it's by nature a high potential opportunity. I have of course messed up my share of those moments, but when i'm in that moment, i'm feeling pretty effective :D
Roosiebull