Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado Rut Update

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado Rut Update

Postby CurlyTail » 09 17, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I just got back from a week Archery Elk hunting in Colorado. The rut is just getting started. Not a lot of spontaneous bugling yet. Bulls are trailing the cows, and the more mature elk are starting to show up. As soon as one cow goes into Estrus, the rut should go crazy probably this weekend . We had a lot of interest in cow calls this past week. Called in 5 bulls, two arrows released , but only one tag filled - a nice mid sized 5x5 for my Son in Law. Very little mid day action with the hot and dry conditions. No nighttime bugling last week.

I am heading back up Wednesday by myself and hope to get the job done.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Re: Colorado Rut Update

Postby Elkduds » 09 17, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Good luck. Maybe some cooler, moist weather this weekend.

I was around 10K, south of Gunnison, came home yesterday. I heard a few halfhearted bugles most evenings. A solo bull came to my cow calls (silently, stopped bugling to do so) Weds @ sunrise, exciting but I was holding a muzzleloader cow tag. No primers dented this hunt.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Deanmac » 09 17, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Good reports I enjoyed.
Deanmac

Postby Losefreeze » 09 18, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the update Curly. I am getting out Wed as well with both Deer and Elk tags in my pocket. Thought I had found my honey hole but mother nature had a different plan. Below is a picture of my hunting partner exiting our area after CDOW kicked him out as a large fire had jumped the fire line. Long story short my honey hole was eaten and will have to start over next year. On to plan Z.

SC fire 2_small.jpeg
SC fire 2_small.jpeg (127.92 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
Losefreeze

Postby Waygoner » 09 18, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I spent a week in GMU 55 with a muzzle loader cow tag. Hot and dry with a thousand cattle being rounded up. The only elk I saw were either at night or on private property. Had one bull bugling after dark on private. Saw more ATVs than hunters. Probably the last time I will hunt there.
Waygoner

Postby saddlesore » 09 18, 2018 •  [Post 6]

AS of Sunday in NW CO it was hot and dry.Few bulls bugling up high,but mostly it was quite.Elk were coming in to what little water there was right at dusk. I couldn't not see FO sights to get a shot.I did miss one as it walked thru heavy aspen.I killed a tree
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby js80138 » 09 18, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I am heading up Wed but to a unit I barely know with both deer and elk tags. ( I have to share that I didn't have my glasses when I began typing and that last sentence ended in beer and elf tags before I edited it. I am still laughing to myself.) The fire you didn't name I can only guess is Silver Creek. It has been my hunting grounds for the past 6 years. I am not a life long hunter like most of you. I was only introduced to hunting a few years ago and now I am 50. I have so many great memories of that area in those few years. It actually makes me a bit melancholy. I am heading east just one unit over and hopefully my Plan B is successful.
js80138

Postby Elkduds » 09 19, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Losefreeze wrote:Long story short my honey hole was eaten and will have to start over next year. On to plan Z.

SC fire 2_small.jpeg

Your honey hole should be better than ever 1 year after a fire.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott