Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What Is It?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What Is It?

Postby Swede » 09 18, 2018 •  [Post 1]

There are numerous elk tracks in the torn up sod that has been turned to dust. In the near vicinity there is a two inch diameter rub tree that is fairly well shredded. This ruffed up area is about 8X8 feet in diameter. What caused this situation?

075.JPG
075.JPG (298.33 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: What Is It?

Postby stringunner » 09 18, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Dry wallow? Natural mineral spot?

Need to call you by the way. Hopefully tomorrow.
stringunner

Postby js80138 » 09 18, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Elk Battle.
js80138

Postby redtop » 09 19, 2018 •  [Post 4]

bull fight. Boys getting after it.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby Lefty » 09 19, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Bear of raccoon tore it up foraging, then the elk walked around in the soft dirt

or a little elk battle :)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 19, 2018 •  [Post 6]

It's exactly what Stringunner said. If you have the APP go look at the photos there, there are several photos of it of similar dry wallows with explanation of use. Bulls can use these spots repeatedly! It's under Tactics in the 'menu'

p.s. we have 4 bulls down, it's been a good season! :o :D

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 19, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Yep
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 09 19, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I have to admit I was not sure what I was looking at. I thought it was a sparing location. The nearby rub tree was part of my logic. Certainly I am no expert in these areas. The two dry wallows I have looked at in the past were dished out like a wallow. Elk tracks, nearby rubs, and the classic dish caused me to believe they were elk "dry wallows", even though I was in cattle country. I never saw them being used. Paul: I can not put your app on my flip phone. Can you post a picture here for those of us still living in the dark ages? :D

Hey, I advanced a century or two this season by going gutless on my own elk. I am tired of packing useless bone and having a butcher charge me to remove it from the meat.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 19, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:I have to admit I was not sure what I was looking at. I thought it was a sparing location. The nearby rub tree was part of my logic. Certainly I am no expert in these areas. The two dry wallows I have looked at in the past were dished out like a wallow. Elk tracks, nearby rubs, and the classic dish caused me to believe they were elk "dry wallows", even though I was in cattle country. I never saw them being used. Paul: I can not put your app on my flip phone. Can you post a picture here for those of us still living in the dark ages? :D

Hey, I advanced a century or two this season by going gutless on my own elk. I am tired of packing useless bone and having a butcher charge me to remove it from the meat.

Congrats on the gutless method Swede :D . I butcher all of my own meat but is nice when I get home to have it to the stage of Just cutting meat
Elkhunttoo