Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Saturdays Story

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Saturdays Story

Postby Lefty » 09 23, 2018 •  [Post 1]

My daughter and I walked into an area I heard a bull at on Thursday.( I had to leave to meet her) I pointed the direction ,.. and a bull bugled.
She ran and set up I ran back, I went to work,.. a few light bull sounds, raking and stomping. I saw her shaking her head and a big grin on her face,,,, the bull was coming.

Then she pointed straight down wind, and did sort of a head slap. I cant hear anything, Im thinking so what if an elk comes in down-wind. Hopefully it busts quietly

Then some mews up wind and all sorts of racket about 90 yards. I ran back into some thicker cover moving away from the new elk
Then I saw my daughter get up,.. her body language said something was wrong.

The bull had been coming,, a cow with a calf making all the racket was closing in from another direction. What I wasn't hearing was another hunter ( the down wind elk) running and cow calling towards us. The bull had spooked
We slipped out.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Saturdays Story

Postby Swede » 09 23, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Lefty, your Saturday song has a familiar beat to it. It sounds a lot like the ones we heard about Sunday thru Friday. :lol:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 09 24, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:Lefty, your Saturday song has a familiar beat to it. It sounds a lot like the ones we heard about Sunday thru Friday. :lol:

It sure does. The fortunate part is Im able to spend a lot more time in the woods with my middle daughter !
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 09 24, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Lefty, keep after them. We have all been in your boots. Just never give up and good things are bound to happen.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics