Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Could You Have Held Your Ground!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Could You Have Held Your Ground!

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Oh ya, sometimes you need to be so focused that it takes everything you have to hold your ground & composure, this was the case 2 days ago for my son, it was awesome! Here's his story of how things unfolded! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I know that I can’t do this call in justice. It was unreal the amount of adrenaline that coursed through my body after I touched the trigger. We had to do a couple set ups on this bull to get (as we say) his temperature to start rising. After about 30 minutes of working him we are now within the magic 100-150 yard mark. We make a plan and I go up and get in front of a tree. ElkNut drops back a little to get into some good willows for some raking and calling. I see in front of me two ways the bull could come in. The one to my right would be a straight line between him and my dad and would bring him to about 20 yards broadside.

The other one he would have to side hill around a tree and then he would be facing me at 40 yards. ElkNut starts his magic and you can tell the bull is not happy as he screams back a warning. He is even a little closer then the last time we heard him. My dad starts doing some raking and this is really making the bull commit. A couple more bugles and a few cow calls and I see a flash coming across the mountain heading for that tree I had talked about. It was a rainy morning and the ground was real soft so I could not hear him coming but he is at a full trot.

I have about a half a second to get my bow drawn back before he is going to round the tree. Somehow I get it back before his first eyeball comes around the tree. He has not slowed down and is coming straight at me from 40-30-20 all I can think is that any second he is going to stop and start looking for the other bull (my dad) but there is no stopping. Through my peep all I see are pins and hair coming at me fast. At about ten yards I remember opening both eyes for a spit second and thinking yep I'm dead center in the middle of his chest. As soon as I closed my other eye I saw all pins right where they should be and squeezed the trigger on a frontal shot. The bulls skid marks were FIVE YARDS from where I was kneeling. He hit the breaks hard and took a 90 degree turn. My heart about fell out of my chest. He ran 20 yards in open sight and stopped.

I thought he was going to turn back and try to figure out what just happened but instead both his back legs started quivering and gave out. With hardly any leg kicking he was dead on the ground. I do not know how to describe the feelings that I was going through at that moment. I have been in a lot of elk encounters but none that compare to a not so happy bull running straight for me as if he was going to go right through me. I’m 90 percent sure that he would not have hit me running by but still about sh** my pants. Oh my gosh what a rush!!!! My Dad comes running up from the willows 25 yards below me and was like he was right on top of you. I was like you have no idea, I had a bit of the shakes.

ElkNut/Paul
Attachments
2018 bull OTC!.JPG
2018 bull OTC!.JPG (269.32 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Could You Have Held Your Ground!

Postby Kellum » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Wow what a story! Congrats to your son!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kellum

Postby Lsb » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Memories of those kind of encounters are what keep me going when the hunting gets tough. Congrats!
Lsb

Postby Swede » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Wow! What a great experience. Congrats on a fine bull.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wewarev » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 5]

That's a real Heart attack Bull because of what he almost gave you. Congratulations and an awesome story!
Love it.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
wewarev

First Name: Rodney

Postby Lefty » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Great story!!

I know my daughter cant hold her ground her 21 foot bull she had way too much time watching and hearing the bulls work their way in and she was shaking like a quaky leaf in a gentle breeze..
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Navesgane » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 7]

What a thrill! Thanks for sharing
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby BrentLaBere » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Sounds like an awesome hunt and an encounter to remember. Congrats to the elk nut crew. Even better with the father son combo. Great job guys.
Almost forgot to mention thats one heck of a bull!
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Thanks again guys!

Lefty, I'm not so sure I could have stood there seeing that bull trotting straight at me with the same speed he had at 50 yards & coming quick! I honestly believe if we would have had a camera-man there he may have bailed it was that touch & go! Truly a once in a lifetime experience. I know it's a first for us or any of the ElkNut Guys & we've put down a couple hundred elk, I know I've not been in that position even though I've had many bulls near the 5 yard range.

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I got an adrenaline rush just reading that! Heck yeah those are the days that stick with you for life. Congrats guys!!!!!!!!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 11]

ElkNut1 wrote:,,,I'm not so sure I could have stood there seeing that bull trotting straight at me with the same speedl

I shared a bit of this story. A neighbor was calling for his son, a bear ran right past his son the boy rolling out of the way . JW barely moved as the bear charged in and turned inside out at 10 feet.

Ive had coyotes and fox charge in,.. but nothing like a screaming bull :shock:
I did stand my ground holding hounds at a cave entrance as a lion screamed at me,.. If I wouldn't have froze hanging onto hounds ,.. I may not have stood my ground :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Luckyman » 09 25, 2018 •  [Post 12]

So FREAKING Awesome!!!!!! great job, again!!@!#@#
Luckyman

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Nice!!! Congrats!!!
Elkhunttoo

Postby Roosiebull » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 14]

sounds like an intense situation!!!

I can imagine emotions were pretty high after that all took place! too cool!

awesome bull too!
Roosiebull

Postby lamrith » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Awesome story Paul!! I bet that was heart stopping for sure.

Funny twist of Irony I saw this posted on FB a few hours after I read your post yesterday. Some guys have all the luck!
https://www.facebook.com/sam.aiken.102/ ... 594129851/
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby redtop » 09 27, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Great write up. Kudos to your son for sure. That must have been intense. I shot a cow running in at me at 5 yards with a front shot. I had to jump out of the way or she would have taken me out. A big bull like though....
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby Sask hunter » 09 27, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Sounds very exciting congrats!
Sask hunter

Postby Magic » 09 28, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Wow, what a fantastic experience for both of you plus that bull is what dreams are made of. Congratulations and thanks for the story.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 30, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Thanks guys, you got that right about building memories! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby MTLongdraw » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Worth the price of admission. Great bull!!!
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty