Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Next Season

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Next Season

Postby Swede » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 1]

The early archery season is barely over and I am already thinking about my next elk hunt. I am suffering withdrawals. I could get a short term fix by going on a late season deer hunt, but those are less satisfying and very short term. Scouting will come next July for a few days and that helps, but it is 330 days before the real action starts again. This is a tough situation. Am I alone in this uncomfortable place?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Next Season

Postby stringunner » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 2]

My dad and I will likely draw Wyoming next year, a hunt we have been waiting for for 10-12 years. Am I planning? Yes. I’m I virtually scouting yes. What’s funny is, we have had our eye on a unit we have hunted before 10 years ago mainly because I have knowledge of it. But I’m hearing it all has changed. Now I’m second guessing and trying to decide which unit. We are going DIY non guided and this will be my dad’s last out of state hunt most likely. I want him to have a great experience and ideally shoot a nice bull. What to do, what to do....the struggle is real.
stringunner

Postby Roosiebull » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I LOVE blacktail hunting, maybe equally as much as chasing elk. I love the change of pace from non stop chaos of chasing elk, to the laid back and peaceful blacktail season. I really enjoy rifle blacktail hunting, walking into a spot I want to be before daylight, and getting in a vantage I will not be detected, and letting my binos do their job. you get to see some really cool stuff at distance when the woods don't know you are there.

there is something truly awesome about panning across with binos and crossing the white muzzle of a buck with those dark antlers sticking up. it's not over for me ;)

once that is over I will be focusing back on lions, with lots of fishing mixed in. I will enjoy getting back in the work groove after buck season, but still have some rifle elk hunts to help on, as well as late archery cow hunts. most of my hunting daydreams are of archery elk hunting, but I like it all, I think each months activities are fun in their own way, and I think the contrast of different hunts makes it all more enjoyable.

if I could start blacktail hunting next week, or have another week of archery elk, I would pick blacktail hunting.... i'm ready for it. there will be plenty of time wishing it was elk season, for now i'm excited about blacktails.
Roosiebull

Postby Sask hunter » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Be in a new OTC place for next fall. Excited to learn the area and see if I can get it done
Sask hunter

Postby redtop » 09 27, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Archery season comes and goes so quickly. Yesterday was the first day of rifle season here in Wyoming. A sad day. I hate to wear orange.
I'm always planning what I will do next year. Part of the problem anymore is it is so damn hot in early September these days.
Hard to do anything about that, but it limits how far in I'm willing go into the backcountry to shoot an elk and get it out before it rots.
So mainly I've changed to finding more of those closer spots for early season.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson