Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Success

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Success

Postby Swede » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Don't define elk hunting success for me as anything less than a butchered elk. Sure I learn something every season and I enjoy my time out in the forest, but I go for elk. I take my bow for just one reason. That purpose/reason is to shoot an elk. I prefer a mature, but not old one. I would still consider my hunt a success if I got a yearling or old cow. I might have to chew extra on the older cow, but the flavor is still great. When I go hunting I am entirely fixated on killing an elk.
When I go scouting, success is finding a good spot(s) to set up my tree stand. It is a success because that was what I was there for. Whenever I set a goal for something "success" is accomplishing that goal. I do not change my goal toward the end just so I can call my hunt a success. I believe focusing on the goal, being patient and persistent I why I succeed most of the time.
What about you?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Success

Postby Roosiebull » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I think i'm the same way, but am not positive. I figured I was getting skunked this year, and was ok with it. I don't think I would have considered an elkless season a "success" but it wouldn't have been a failure either. I had quite a few chances this season, and lots of "almost chances" I had several bulls between 40-50 yds, but was not willing to shoot beyond 40yds. I did question my reasoning a few times, but I think for me, it's a good baseline.

I was not a very good elk hunter this year. I feel like I started good hunting with my buddy, that hunt went pretty good.... once I got back to the coast, hunting for myself, I struggled to showcase my "experience" I over committed in bad wind, not pay attention to things when I needed to, over committed on stalks getting seen by cows before having shots at a bull, poor body placement, poor shot selection, ranging the wrong tree, trying to call a bull in bad wind, getting impatient, not being aggressive enough, etc.

I felt like I was making a lot of mistakes I knew better than to make. I was content with my effort, but was not pleased with my performance. I think sometimes the situation itself can make it seem like I did something wrong after reflecting on what just happened.... it seemed there was a lot of that this year for me, but I think I was at least partly to blame on many encounters.

it felt really good standing over a bull in the 9th inning knowing how bad i did, persistence made up for skill and good choices, i learned and re-learned a lot this year. hopefully i'm a better elk hunter next year.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Success is personal. Some consider it a success just to get to hunt, and would spend an extra $700 just for a slim chance to kill an elk. Some would consider a 5X5 bull at the end of the season a failure. For me it is getting an elk. That is why I do not get more large bulls. There was a herd bull with the cow I shot. He did not present an opportunity, but she did.
Swede

Postby Treestandgoatman » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 4]

This year I had great success. I didn't shoot the rag horn I was hoping to, but was able to put a tasty cow in the freezer after 14 days, 8 of which where solo! My goals for this year where to sound really good calling, learn the area I hunt better, and build my ability to call in bulls.

I called in multiple people who where wondering if I was messing with a bull, or "if it was just me the hole time"one was even my hunting partner.. He got really excited thinking a bull was coming in all fired up! Sounding good, check.

Opening day I called 4 bulls to bow range from different heards. No shot opportunity though. Best I have ever done, and hope to be able to repeat next year. Latter in the year was more challenging. I had a few coming in, but busted by other hunters or the wind. I had 3 that I just didn't say what they where wanting to hear. Maybe someone can chime in on how to get a bull out of his bed, when he is telling the cow& calf (me) to come to him? I worked the cow sounds a little while, probably not long enough, then went to a slow play breading sequence. Time was about 4 pm, but they wouldn't come in. I heard one get out of his bed and walk away:(.. I dont think he liked the idea of another bull. Still need to work on getting them to come in, I hope to be better next year.

11 days in The area I normally hunt. I went to most of my Google earth spots, and found elk in 5 out of 7 new spots. A few more areas to hit while I'm there.

I also learned a lot while hunting with others I have never hunted with, and while solo. Good Elk season this year, hopefully next year I can fool a rag horn to come in:).. And maybe call a few in for friends.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Treestandgoatman

Postby Navesgane » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Learning, not getting hurt, seeing and experiencing new things and having fun doing it.
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby Swede » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Navesgane wrote:Learning, not getting hurt, seeing and experiencing new things and having fun doing it.

Great!
But are you a more lethal hunter today? Can you apply what you learned and bring home the bacon? Absolutely no offense intended here. I want you to fill your tags. I would like you to go out confidently, and know you can get-er-done, not depending on luck, the alignment of the stars in some special way, or a special quirk of fate. You can fill your elk tag and have a great time too.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I’ve had some really cool expieriences but for me a”great hunt” Doesnt nessisarily mean I have to kill something
But the hunt is more successful if something is killed

And yes I want to kill an elk only 3 days left. After nothing this eveningI’m ready to kill a cow.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 09 26, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Ok Lefty, What did you learn that was worthy of all the effort? What will make you a better hunter next season?
I am fully aware that we do not always even need to learn more to succeed next season. Luck has a part and if it is not going your way, you may just need to dust yourself off and head back to the woods. Still, I like to think that next season I will have a little more information to apply to the hunt.
Swede

Postby BrentLaBere » 09 27, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Success for a hunt is notching my tag. Anything less I wouldn't consider it a successful hunt but a fun adventure. Im always having a good time while hunting. Thats why I do it.
I believe you always need to learn something from a hunt. Also agree that a little luck can go a long way....thats how I was able to get my elk this year. I was one lucky guy. Mother nature decided to tip the odds in my favor. Ive had other elk seasons where it didnt go that way with multiple encounters at full draw. I look back on those wondering what I could have done differently trying to better myself for the next encounter.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Tigger » 09 27, 2018 •  [Post 10]

One thing I learned is that if you get busted by a herd they may not booger for the next county. We had one group get on the same herd 3 or 4 days in a row in the same spot. They got busted on all of those days to some extent.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 09 27, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Swede
My grand mother use to say something to the effect: any day you wake up is a good day.

I’m sure you have heard a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work

I likely found mouse joy,happiness, gratification and satisfaction in the past 6 hours than 95% of the US population
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Roosiebull » 09 27, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Lefty wrote:
I’m sure you have heard a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work

I always wondered how that saying works for hunting guides......anyone know?

that saying has always been false to me, I have had so many hunts that were completely anti-climatic (most lion hunts) and cold, rainy, pointless hunts... just doing it because that's what I was doing that day. for blacktail that weather is good, calling lions or bear hunting, it sucks...…… on the other end of the spectrum, I have a fun job (some times) and often times don't mind working at all.

of course work sucks sometimes too, but that saying doesn't hold true to me.... working is kind of hunting anyways.
Roosiebull

Postby otcWill » 09 27, 2018 •  [Post 13]

I always have fun while hunting. You can't wipe the smile off my face. That said, success is just that. If I don't kill something while I'm attempting to kill something than I've had fun, but certainly haven't been "successful" in achieving my goal. I have then succeeded in going hunting, in having a great time, but failed in killing an animal and filling my freezer. I'm not sure how anyone sees it any different. Just my humble opinon
otcWill

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 29, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Your goal will determine whether you are successful or not.

My wife has the goal of getting a bull and a buck with her bow, doesn't have to be in the same year, she just wants to get both. Her last day she could hunt this year was the 27th... on the 27th we had a cow walk 5-6 yards in front of us with a perfect broad side shot. I had the video camera rolling, everything was perfect, yet it didn't matter to my wife, she watched it walk on by. And then a calf came in from the opposite direction and greeted the cow, they past by (pretty sure by the way they acted it wasn't her calf) and the calf walked up to 20 yards from us, ate and hum hawed around for a few minutes and then beaded down 25 yards from us. This experience never would of happened if my wife shoots the cow. This year in 4-5 days of hunting my wife had 1 cow at 5-6 yards, 2 calves at 20-25 yards and 2 doe's inside of 25 yards and never even was tempted to draw her bow. Would she of been successful in feeling her tag if she shoots any of these animals, yep, would she of been successful in her goal, nope... I used to consider a hunt successful if I filled my tag, then I started hunting with my brother in law who is legally blind and that has changed the way I view things. He and I drew on a bull hunt (rifle tag) this year. My goal is for him to get a bull. Do I want one? For sure!!! But if he is with me he gets the first shot/kill....I've killed plenty of elk but he has never got one, my goal for me is a nice 6 point bull but I could kill a beast this year and him not get one and it won't feel like a successful hunt... anyway, I'm done with my rambling now :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby Magic » 09 29, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Last year at 74 years old I killed a 4X5 Bull on the 6th day of hunting. When I posted the picture and story here I stated that I was closing out my 44th season and would never hunt Elk again. Well I lied, to myself anyway. I'm 75 and my Son who will accompany me is 50, so this is our sorta "Centennial" hunt together. It will be Colorado 2nd season OTC Bull, so my odds of killing are somewhere between 0% and 15%. If I happen to kill, will it be a success? Absolutely. If I fail to shoot will it be a failure? Absolutely Not!
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Elkhunttoo » 09 30, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Magic wrote:Last year at 74 years old I killed a 4X5 Bull on the 6th day of hunting. When I posted the picture and story here I stated that I was closing out my 44th season and would never hunt Elk again. Well I lied, to myself anyway. I'm 75 and my Son who will accompany me is 50, so this is our sorta "Centennial" hunt together. It will be Colorado 2nd season OTC Bull, so my odds of killing are somewhere between 0% and 15%. If I happen to kill, will it be a success? Absolutely. If I fail to shoot will it be a failure? Absolutely Not!

Congrats to you on another tag :D
Elkhunttoo

Postby saddlesore » 09 30, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Magic wrote:Last year at 74 years old I killed a 4X5 Bull on the 6th day of hunting. When I posted the picture and story here I stated that I was closing out my 44th season and would never hunt Elk again. Well I lied, to myself anyway. I'm 75 and my Son who will accompany me is 50, so this is our sorta "Centennial" hunt together. It will be Colorado 2nd season OTC Bull, so my odds of killing are somewhere between 0% and 15%. If I happen to kill, will it be a success? Absolutely. If I fail to shoot will it be a failure? Absolutely Not!

We are in the same boat Magic. 75 here also. I just want to be able to go hunting. I already have a 9 day ML hunt under my belt this year and I'm leaving next Friday for a whitetail ML hunt, returning Monday, then leaving Wednesday for another elk hunt. CO, 2nd rifle , bull. Sadly though all my hunting pards have either quit hunting, can't hunt,or have passed away. Younger guys either have no livestock to use or can't get the time off from work. No close kin to go with so I will be doing it alone. Just keep on trucking!!!
saddlesore

Postby Lsb » 09 30, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Last Thursday evening I called a 320 ish bull in to my wife. He saw her move, I called him back, she couldn't draw, I called him back. She had him at 35 yards, her release failed and sent it in to the dirt. I still won, I put him where I wanted him 3 times. Success as far as I am concerned.
Lsb