Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Need a stratagy

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Need a stratagy

Postby Lefty » 09 28, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Overall I do no like hunting near others
However because my daughter doesn’t enjoy going into the deep and commuted the whole day I had to change.
We now hunt where others hunt

Jumping to my style of goose hunting I have neighbors whose folds had 1000 geese or more killed on them all within sight and sound at home
But I chose to hunt fields fewer geese limits tougher but not messed up by others.

We’ve called in Other hunters this year and had elk we were likely bumped by others
Yesterday those 4 bugles from the ridge shut up the elk
Last night being courteous I moved a different direction when I spotted a pick up and yep the elk were right where I was headed
This morning two bull going back and forth for and hour bugling minutes apart maybe 100 bugles ( I think round up the big bull sounds like he has hot cowsh he keeps together
I’m sticking around, two satilite bulls are 6x6 s

8:00 came the bugle from. The ridge . Never another elk bugle
I think I know where the one bull and cows are bedded
I’ll go in about 3 and slow play them
I just think the elkhave experienced bugles from the ridge they shut down
This is a deep and steep canyon this morning I never cut a mans track in the bottom
So It appears others avoid the sides and bottom
Tomorrow my daughter is coming up so I’m thinking of working the sides and since it’s our last day we will take a cow
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Need a stratagy

Postby Swede » 09 28, 2018 •  [Post 2]

My suggestion is to change strategy or change locations. Maybe both are in order. Einstein is quoted as saying, "continuing to do the same thing, expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity." Ask yourself if you are shooting in the dark, or working a legitimate strategy.
It seems to me your old desert hunts were working better for you. What were you doing then that was working?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 09 28, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Mostly no people elk far and few
I reserving that for when I can’t walk or draw a bow
Lefty

Postby Swede » 09 28, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I don't know about your strategy or lack thereof, but you are a great sport. Maybe the strategy can be boiled down to; just continue hunting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 09 28, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:I don't know about your strategy or lack thereof, but you are a great sport. Maybe the strategy can be boiled down to; just continue hunting.

I had been sitting for a hour and 1/2
A cow mew or two every 10 15 minutes . I was getting chilled and it wa time to get above where the elk were last night
Off in the distance a bugle then another and another worked to the nearest bull and waited and waited the distant bull were still going
I made a soft mew; almost scared me. 55 - 60 yards this little soft bugle that sounded like my 6 year old granddaughter .
I couldn’t see past the thick growth Minutes later another soft little kid bugle I played hard to get and left with a couple mews

Then snuck back. Seemed like a long time, nothing. I moved so slow glassing . I stepped ona stick and this deepbugle rang out
Eventually I tried a nearvous grunt, two hours I played tag 80 yards or less from this little kid bugle bull I eventually got 35 yards from him I think he saw me and moved off ended up a big 6x6
That was fun and exciting and did not work.
The bull head out on a sage brush hill side kind of magestic in the last of the sun.
Time to hussle back
A few distant bugles to the west the bull I had played with was still doing his thing.
The up in front of me a bugle on the ridge the fading light I had to hussle.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 28, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Should have been a sweet stalk in. I guess the bull is on the trail 15 maybe 20 yards above
I’m thinking this is really amazing I’m being carefully focusing on the skyline looking for tips
And he’s standing 12 yards away watching me. Then bolts
It took a few minutes for him to round up his girl friends nd he chased them down the trail
Lefty