Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk and water

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk and water

Postby 2Rivers » 09 29, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Can I get your thoughts on elk and water. What type of water are they going to go to first, a water hole or moving water/stream? Both are nearby each other, no great distance between.
2Rivers

Re: Elk and water

Postby RAMMONT » 09 29, 2018 •  [Post 2]

It depends on what's going on around them. During hunting season, with more people than normal in the area, the elk will go to the water that has the best security. On the other hand, if they feel safe they seem to prefer moving water where I hunt.
RAMMONT

Postby stringunner » 09 29, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I think that question has a lot of possible answers...

From what I have observed in my area, they will water at creeks and moving water at night during feeding. Once they move to bed for the day they will use water close by that has cover and is near the bedding area. These tend to be seeps and water holes.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 09 29, 2018 •  [Post 4]

2Rivers, are you considering hunting over water? If that is the case then you have more things to think about. There is a lot of water in some areas.
Set up where there is a significant evidence of frequent repeat use. Hunt places where elk water often and trails come together. Look for trails that are getting beat up from Repeated use.
Where I hunted this past season I found trails that had been run over by a herd and were beat to dust, but it was a one time event. Other trails had fairly common use. It sure helps if you can determine what you are seeing.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 2Rivers » 09 29, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Swede: I saw 6 cow/calf elk early one afternoon near a small stream in a meadow. The afternoon before I sat at a water hole that also had a muddy wallow along side it. Was trying to get a consensus if one type of water was better than another.
2Rivers

Postby Swede » 09 29, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I think both Rammont and Stringunner made good points. I have not found that elk prefer moving water at anytime, but I sure can't contradict Rammont on that point. I just have not observed it. I do know they will water in a flowing stream, but it is a choice or is it a matter of convenience?
We get a lot of folks that read these threads, so for all that want to know, I will add the following.
I have had several people set up where they saw elk, only to be disappointed when they did not return again that hunting season. That happened this year. If the elk keep returning to a location, that is where you want to be waiting. Just because we see them somewhere is no reason to get excited and set up there.
The reverse can also be important to take into consideration. If elk have been frequenting a place, be patient and wait there. Elk are not Whitetails. It may take a week, or even more, for them to come back to one particular spot. Usually I consider a place active if it gets hit every 4-5 days. As mentioned in an earlier thread, one of our group left a good location after hunting it for four days. The elk came in on day five and the partner went home without an elk. Patience is important too.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 09 29, 2018 •  [Post 7]

This past MLseason, elk were coming into any hole that had water in it.Biggest use was a bigger wallow.But they were coming in right at dusk or later.I could not see the FO sights on my rifle when they did,so I had no shot opportunities. It was very dry alll summer where I hunted.

The reply that elk will water where they have the least amount of pressure is spot on. Mostly though, around where I hunt,they go nocturnal and water then.

I have seen them standing in creeks and streams watering when hunting season is not on and I have seen them drink from a 2 ft wide mud hole when there is hunting going on. There is no one fit all answer to this.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 2Rivers » 09 30, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Thanks Saddelsore. Dry in my unit also. Like walking on rice krispies in the timber.
2Rivers

Postby Magic » 09 30, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Two thing are certain, Elk are going to drink water and they know where it is.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Swede » 09 30, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I have observed that especially in dry areas, elk frequently come to a secluded springs and ponds in and around bedding areas. On travel routes they will stop for water along their route. These are good areas to watch for the critters.
Right in the middle of hunting season, in a high pressure unit, they will go and water in the river, where it is open in every direction for half mile.
Swede

Postby Jhg » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:... It may take a week, or even more, for them to come back to one particular spot. ...

X2 the "even more". IMO opinion, when there are multiple water sources (consider running water as such since it can be hit almost anywhere along its course) there needs to be some other feature to entice the elk to frequent the spot, like food or access to something. Scout and try to weave those traits together. Sometimes you can find a single water source near where they frequent. I would choose to hunt it when its hot. Out of convienience they might use it more regularly. But I bet they will be there because of feed, not the access to water. The two just happen to go hand in hand.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Jhg makes a good and important point. Sometimes it is obvious why a watering spot is getting used. Sometimes I have no idea why one location is preferred above another. In the end, I don't care. I just place my stand where the elk are going. One thing I have noticed over the years is that watering locations can change. It is good to be aware of what is happening.
I guess it is like teen hang out locations. For years one place is where the in crowd gathers, then all of a sudden it is cool to hang out somewhere else, and only squares are going to the old establishment.
Swede