Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Meant to be?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Meant to be?

Postby Indian Summer » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I’m the cup half full kind of hunter. Like anyone I have good days and bad but on the down days I tell myself I guess tomorrow is going to be my day. This year I will be walking the hills without a bull tag. It’s the first time ever. I was ready to jump iff of a bridge when I found out I was 1 of only 26 people who didn’t draw the tag with the points I had. Partly because I am excited to be taking a new partner, an elk rookie who waited all year to hunt for a bull elk.

I nervously let the Montana application deadline pass because I wanted my partner tonsee the area he’ll be hunting next year. So we applied for a leftover cow tag and crossed our fingers. I figured if 2 people didn’t draw one would be me so I can’t lie I was excited to see the word successful in the draw results. I’m pretty confident that we can kill two cows in 2 days but I’ve been around long enough to envision myself under pressure on the last day too. I’ve been there.... but I did get the job done.

Yesterday I talked to a good friend who used to guide for me in Montana. He went on to guide for what is one of if not the best high country mule deer outfitters in the state. Although my cow tag isn’t exactly where I’ll be hunting next year it is in my mule deer region. When I was out scouting in August I was really impressed with the amount of deer sign. It was everywhere! So now my hunt this year isn’t just to punch my tag and turn a new guy on to something I know he’s going to be hooked on. I’v also been forced to do some deer scouting. That’s a good thing. So is learning new elk country. So I guess maybe some things were meant to be. If you’re going to be an elk hunter for life it’s a good idea to start thinking that way. Wish me luck.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Meant to be?

Postby Swede » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Best wishes Joe. I am sure you will make the most of the situation.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Good luck out there. Hope you guys have a great hunt
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Jhg » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Cow elk are REALLY great tasting. I prefer butchering for roasts and smoke them for about 2.5hrs, the time it takes them to cook. Glass half full.
Jhg

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Joe, good luck sir, you'll have a good time none-the-less! As far as Meant To be, I'm not one that subscribes to that way of thinking. Go getem! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Hey good luck
the weather is turning
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 7]

ElkNut1 wrote:As far as Meant To be, I'm not one that subscribes to that way of thinking.

ElkNut/Paul

So if it wasn’t meant to be Paul can you tell me why I’m hunting cows only this year? I’m hoping there’s a silver lining in the cloud.
Indian Summer

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Ha Ha! Because that's what you drew! It's all a crap shoot when applying for tags, luck of the draw! Meant To Be in my opinion is like thinking God wanted it that way or someone else! Certainly not the case!

My Son drew an OK tag last year in WY with a 3% chance, was that meant to be? Heck no, he just got lucky, he could just as easily not drawn. Is Meant To Be to be understood that if you draw you are guaranteed an elk too? (grin)

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 9]

ElkNut1 wrote:Ha Ha! Is Meant To Be to be understood that if you draw you are guaranteed an elk too? (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

I guess that depends on what you know. I’m gonna go with probably. When was the last time you drew a tag and didn’t kill an elk? (grin)
Indian Summer

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 10]

You're avoiding the question with a question, you should be a politician! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Magic » 10 06, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Last year was the 44th anniversary of my first 1973 Elk hunt. When my Son Marty and I were field dressing my bull last year I declared that it would by my last Elk hunt. Now "rewind" 25 years to 1993, when he was 25 years old and I was 50 we promised that when he we 50 and I was 75, we would Elk hunt together again. Well we have hunted many times together since then but this is that "promised" year. We generally alternate years to actually hunt and this is his year, but he decided that the "ole man" should carry the rifle this year. Not "meant to be" but long awaited.

I do not believe in pre-destiny, but pre-planning to determine or change future activities and/or events is putting your future in your own hands
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Swede » 10 06, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Best wishes on your 2018 hunt Lynn. I hope it is truly magic.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics