Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Time To Start

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Time To Start

Postby Swede » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Maybe this sounds crazy to some, but it is time to start preparing for the 2019 season.
Too often we wait and make poor choices because we have not done our homework. What tags and what units should I hunt? Start now so before the application deadline comes around, so you a have everything figured out. Here in Oregon we have units with hunts where the success rate has dropped to 3%-4%. I know grandpa and dad hunted there, and that is where our family has gone for years, but do you really want to spend your annual vacation time hunting time there now? By starting your research this early, engaging you hunting party in conversation right away, and maybe even getting out, you will be in a much better situation next season.
I already know where I want to look for more tree stand locations next summer. I know what the cattle grazing plan has been in my new area, and is likely to be next year. Do You? :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Time To Start

Postby Lsb » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Yep. I learned the grazing rotation. But if they lo buys the property nextdoor, it looks like a go, it opens up a whole new world. Also hoping to draw a 16b NM tag, along with countless others.
Lsb

Re: Time To Start

Postby Kessler10 » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 3]

sure seems Like i start thinking and planning for the next year (2019) just a couple weeks after I get back (2018).

Pretty sure at some point everyday I think about something related to my plans for the next years hunt. Sometimes I feel like im cheating on my wife with how much attention I give the next years archery hunt :D

I try to keep it chill at least until the next year hits. But after Jan 1 its pretty much full go with planing and training until Sept...at least it feels like it.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler