Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

elk hunting is over for the year! Sorta!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

elk hunting is over for the year! Sorta!

Postby Lefty » 10 01, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Now I cant sleep.
Maybe because I didnt do a 1000 foot of elevation and 5-8 miles today.

I came home late Saturday night. I will admit I was bit disappointed not bringing home even a cow, I passed on a shot,.. and as I mentioned earlier my daughter messed up big time at 8 yards.
Well I did also.
Put a beautiful fast stalk on a herd , keying in on a bugling bull. I was at 50 yards on his last bugle, he was up a steep side hill and on the far side of a knife edge of rock.
I was looking for antler tips,.. when he bolted from less than 11 yards( yes I ranged it,.. where are the crying smiles) He was actually somewhat behind me when I came into view. He rounded up his ladies, screaming at them eventually convincing them they needed to leave

My daughter hunted with her boyfriend Yesterday and were in elk. This is a hard hike in and I have never seen anyone in there hunting on foot. The herd was over a sharp ridge . They were trying to decide how to make a shot work, very good conditions.
And a muzzle loader shot rang out,.. the elk charging right past them.
My daughter suggested they sneak out quick. Fish and game is going to investigate tomorrow.

The boyfriend is from the east, and new t0 archery hunting and had to pass his archery. Bought a nice bow, had never shot a compound, and put 3 arrows as 27 yards the size of a quarter,.. He hunted two days and and spent about 6 of those hours under 200 yards hearing bulls bugle,.. the guy is hooked.
He came :lol: out to the house this evening with a pickup seat full of new gear
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: elk hunting is over for the year! Sorta!

Postby Jhg » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Lefty wrote:Now I cant sleep.
Maybe because I didnt do a 1000 foot of elevation and 5-8 miles...

I said that exact thing to my gal the other day. It felt weird not starting the day with a 2 hr up hike through timber in the dark.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Some folks will continue on hunting somewhere and for something. I can't get excited about hunting for a Blacktail deer, or cougar like Roosiebull does. I admire his zeal for those things. I am like Lefty, and I don't know that it makes a lot of difference if we got something or not. September 2019 is a long way off. At least I am not lamenting about not hiking 8 miles and climbing 1,000 feet on any particular day. I am not thinking about the past hunt. It is all about next season at this point.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Sounds like you had a fun year anyway lefty... just look at it this way, you left one up there for next year ;)

Drawing a bull hunt in October is nice, but it sure is making me learn patience. At least I got to go archery hunting with my wife a few times to help out.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Elkhunttoo wrote:Sounds like you had a fun year anyway lefty... just look at it this way, you left one up there for next year ;) .

Muzzle loader spike elk is starting soon.
Unfortunately we never saw a spike so far this year,..
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I can’t imagine being done hunting already. I can’t imagine having to buy a tag that was good for only bow or only gun or worse yet a specific week of gun season. I would never live in a state like that when you can buy a single tag in Montana or Wyoming and hunt with a bow for a month and then even the score in gun season for another month. My deepest sympathy. :(
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Idaho hunt is in the books for this year (a big bust in the wolf ravaged Selway unit) but I still have some time set aside to see if I can connect on a Washington wapiti or one of the indigenous black tails. We shall see ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Indian Summer wrote:I can’t imagine being done hunting already. I can’t imagine having to buy a tag that was good for only bow or only gun or worse yet a specific week of gun season. I would never live in a state like that when you can buy a single tag in Montana or Wyoming and hunt with a bow for a month and then even the score in gun season for another month. My deepest sympathy. :(

I do have a muzzle loader spike tag an archery whitetail tag and waterfowl seasons
So just archery elk is done
Depending on how my retirement goes next year I may start apply for Montana and waterfowl up there too
Lefty