Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

From Hunter to Collector (Tag soup consolation prize)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

From Hunter to Collector (Tag soup consolation prize)

Postby Losefreeze » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 1]

In all honesty I was hoping to be able to title this post, "from hunter to harvester" but it just wasn't in the cards this year. I had a great season, upset by a few larger problems, forest fire burning me out of my #1 spot but overall good. Only saw a few elk but a ton of dear, missed on a doe and stalked numerous others but with the super dry conditions was near impossible to get under 80 yards. While the year didn't turn out the way I wanted I did leave with the next best thing to tag soup. Tag soup with a consolation prize. Found this deadhead in a deep dark hole that would have been un-huntable due to all trees under 5 yards and tight. So one thing I found out about myself is I am darn good about finding where they want to go to die as this was my 5th and final kill sight I came across in the final weekend.
2018 Dead Head_small.jpg
2018 Dead Head_small.jpg (46.37 KiB) Viewed 2081 times

Another cool, but albeit scary encounter, was this Bull moose that was following his cow into the willow filled stream behind me at first light. I got trapped in no man's land with only 2 small Spruce trees to hide behind in full open country but luckily either my camo did its job or the bull wasn't ready to stop me. The cow is moving down to the river and you can see the bulls rack starting come out around the farther tree. When they passed they were at 10 yards which my camera phone did not do justice in the pic. Good thing because when I reached down to get my bear spray ready I realized it must have fallen out of its holster the day before and I was essentially defenseless. This was the first of 3 encounters with these moose that day, the 3rd being when I jumped them in their bed at 60 yards. I started to get the feeling that the hunting gods were telling me to pack it up for this area and end my season.
bull moose solo_small.jpg
bull moose solo_small.jpg (41.02 KiB) Viewed 2081 times

2018 Bull moose_small.jpg
2018 Bull moose_small.jpg (56.87 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
Losefreeze

Re: From Hunter to Collector (Tag soup consolation prize)

Postby Lefty » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 2]

pretty country!!

Most of us will be having tag soup. Just keep enjoying the hunt and reduce your personal statistic on tag soup. :shock:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby stringunner » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 3]

As Lefty said, keep at it. Keep scouting country, keep learning, keep honing your skills. I understand the want and desire to harvest, I have a family of 6 and the years I don’t harvest, we eat a lot of chicken! I hate chicken but it’s cheaper on the budget. Every season I go in with the desire to harvest, this drives me to keep learning all year round for the next season. I also enjoy it very much, even the years a notched tag didn’t happen, I enjoy every minute and the learning is fun too.

Next year my dad and I will likely be in Wyoming. It’s been 10 years since I hunted there, my google earth way points are steadily increasing each week right now as I search over maps and locations. It’s going to be a different hunt as pre season scouting won’t be an option, but man I’m already having fun with the map scouting.
stringunner

Postby Swede » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Stringunner and I know an area we refer to as the bone yard. I have seen a couple of similar areas. I believe wounded el go there to escape and have cover. They die there too. If you wound an animal, and know of one of these areas, it could pay to check out the bone yard. Stringunner may know of another similar area near where we hunt (below Spike) where they travel when wounded. If you don't know the spot, I will share it with you.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 10 02, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Nice dead head! My hunt hasn't started yet but I hope I'm not eating tag soup. I will be a little picky though so we will see
Elkhunttoo

Postby Indian Summer » 10 03, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Losefreeze where do you hunt?
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 04, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Nice find.... Your bear was probably expired anyway.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Losefreeze » 10 05, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Indian,

I hunt north central CO in 18 above Granby or near Steamboat in 15/27. As you may have seen in an earlier post, the Silver creek fire burnt me out of the latter and that was lining up to being a great area for both Elk and deer but coming back to the truck with Slurry from a bomber told us that area was toast for a while. We are thinking about switching up to more of a southern location for next year, just looking for new country to see and hunt.
Losefreeze