Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

muzzleloader bullets

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

muzzleloader bullets

Postby ray56hoc » 10 11, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Could someone recommend a good 50 cal bullet to use for colorado elk hunting where sabots are not allowed.
ray56hoc

Re: muzzleloader bullets

Postby saddlesore » 10 11, 2018 •  [Post 2]

They all work.I prefer the 348 gr Powerbelt,but you will get guys bad mouthing it.Justdon't drive it fast
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 10 11, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I’ll second the Powerbelts. Nothing is better!!! Try a couple to see what flies best from your smokepole.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 11, 2018 •  [Post 4]

My Son & I have taken 4 elk with MZ -- All were taken with the 348 grain Powerbelts! Ditto guys!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Elkduds » 10 11, 2018 •  [Post 5]

My CVA Optima thrives on Hornady FPBs, 50 cal 300 gr. Copper w lead core, plastic tip. They were really tough to load from the muzzle, so I boresized them by removing the breechplug and pushing the bullet through the barrel w ramrod. After that, they load right up. CO accuracy (open sights) is less than 3" @ 100 yds. If I ever get tired of the boresizing ritual, my next choice will be Thors, which are made in sizes to fit your specific barrel. All copper, plastic tip. So you order a free sampler, you get 3 different sizes of sample bullets, whichever loads best, you order that size.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby saddlesore » 10 12, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Elkduds wrote:My CVA Optima thrives on Hornady FPBs, 50 cal 300 gr. Copper w lead core, plastic tip. They were really tough to load from the muzzle, so I boresized them by removing the breechplug and pushing the bullet through the barrel w ramrod. After that, they load right up. CO accuracy (open sights) is less than 3" @ 100 yds. If I ever get tired of the boresizing ritual, my next choice will be Thors, which are made in sizes to fit your specific barrel. All copper, plastic tip. So you order a free sampler, you get 3 different sizes of sample bullets, whichever loads best, you order that size.

I heard Thor was coming out with a one size fits all
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby blackbruin » 10 22, 2018 •  [Post 7]

If you want a non saboted or belt, try hornady pa conicals. 240 grain they like 1-48 or slower twists. Like the old buffalo ballets kind of. They like to be pushed.
Myself i am a patch and roundball guy. I have a .62 longrifle for elk coming up next year, or after. 348 grain roundball...
blackbruin

First Name: Dan
Last Name: W

Postby CurlyTail » 10 23, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I have had a very positive experience with the Thor all copper bullets. Deadly accurate, a premium bullet.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.