Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Anyone tie flies?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Anyone tie flies?

Postby Ben Nicholson » 04 07, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I'm slowly getting back into fly tying after a very long hiatus. Where does everyone get their supplies? Any good resources for patterns?

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Nicholson

Re: Anyone tie flies?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 11, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I used to many, many moons ago. I just purchased my supplies from a local tie shop in NW MT. Used to really enjoy catching trout on my handmade flies, even though they weren't that well tied, lol. One of these days, I'd like to jump back into it but need to live closer to trout streams/rivers/lakes than I do now.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Chaza402 » 04 11, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I like J stockard, eBay, and my local shops. It's great to run in and grab a few hooks or beads when I'm running low. But if those are out of reach You can find some great deals on EBay as well. A word to the wise, while it may seem like a good idea to buy cheaper hooks, beads , or hackles at the time, it makes life a ton easier to get the high grade stuff instead. Just think of that 24"+ fish of a lifetime on a cheap ass hook- it's happened to me more times than I'd like to admit so that's why I use tiemco, gamakatsu and daiichi hooks for everything fresh and salt. Most times you only get one shot! Also if you are looking for good patterns to tie check out cravens fly box and look at what the local fly shop is saying for patterns- just google fly tying recipes for that fly they recommend. Hope this helps!
Chaza402

Postby Ben Nicholson » 04 12, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Thanks! I prefer my local shop, but their selection is pretty small. I hadn't thought about looking at eBay. I'll give it a look. I couldn't agree more about using good hooks.

-Ben
Ben Nicholson

Postby baddaddy » 01 19, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Ben,

Look at Dan Bailey's fly shop and Dan Marriotts for supplies as well.
baddaddy

Postby OregonTK » 01 28, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I've been tying trout flies, steelhead flies, and Atlantic Salmon flies since about 1980. I bought most of my materials from a local shop here in Oregon (I used to tie for them years ago). I think they do a lot of online business... http://www.flyfishusa.com

Here's a summer steelhead pattern I used alot on the Deschutes River called the French Kiss, but my buddies nicknamed it the French Tickler.

If you rattle, they will come!
Stickbows...putting the arch back in archery
OregonTK