Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk hunting is done now what. Ice fishing

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk hunting is done now what. Ice fishing

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 07, 2016 •  [Post 1]

This might be a stretch. Is there anybody going to Lake Of The Woods in Minnesota for some walleye action. If so what's your favorite resort to fish out of?
The last 2 years we went out of Zipple bay. Fishing was great the sleeper shack was so so.
Wheeler Point was nice but 2 bad years of fishing made us change place's.

Looking for a new place this year.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Re: Elk hunting is done now what. Ice fishing

Postby Charina » 10 07, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I'm still hoping to get the boat out two or three times before the local big lakes freeze over. I won't be thinking of ice fishing till late November
Charina

Postby Lefty » 12 01, 2016 •  [Post 3]

A buddy of mine sent a pic of 37 sunfish that weighed 41 lbs.
I would say go fishing

My dad use to fish the big wind storms before freeze-up casting big lures in the windward side of the lake for northerns, looks like you have a few days of open water left.

My brothers best friend lives on the Rainey river, with a boat house on the US side.

Did you ever make the trip?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 01 10, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Leaving 4 am Thursday morning for a new spot FredsBeds lake of the woods. I never heard of them either, but I well let you know how fishing was and if the shacks are clean and comfy.
Fridaythe13th

Postby Fridaythe13th » 01 16, 2017 •  [Post 5]

The fishing action was slow only 20 keeper for 10 people in 3 days. The guide thought it had to do with the weather -30 on Friday to 24 on Sunday I guess he is probably right 50 degrees is a big temp change. We stayed at Freds-beds The 6 person shack was a older model and could have been a little bigger, the newer ones were much much bigger 2 feet wider and 4 feet longer it doesn't sound much bigger but the layout is much better and that alone make it much bigger. The 5 person was plenty big we had all 10 of us for a fish fry. Around 70 fish caught mostly walleye/sauger with 3 eelpout. I well go back to freds-beds they were the best beds I have ever slept in for a sleeper house.
Fridaythe13th