Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Food makin' thread?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Food makin' thread?

Postby Freebird134 » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I need some venison recipes!!! Will you guys share your favorites? I killed 6 deer last year with my bow--so me and the wife are eating a lot of deer and need to get creative with it! I've got some good ones i'll share, if you guys can do the same! :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: Food makin' thread?

Postby Swede » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I give most of my deer and elk meat away every year to my kids, friends, etc. so I never eat enough to get tired of it. The way I like it best is thin (1/3-1/2 inch) sliced, rolled around lightly in flour, then fried in a pan with lite coating of olive oil. You never need any fancy venison dish to put a smile on my face. The most important thing is to have a good piece of meat to start with.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I had Elk Tacos for supper last nite. MMMMMMMMMMM! My lips are still smackin!

There is an art to making them just right. LOL! At least that is what I always tell the wife. First of all, I like mine made with Fritos corn chips instead of tortillas. So I put the Fritos on my plate first. Nexts come a good layer of elk burger fried up with taco seasoning. The next layer is grated cheddar cheese. Then comes the tomato, a dash of pitanti sauce, and top it off with a big tablespoon of sour cream.

I have no idea as to why I'm so particular how I build it up because I stir it all up and gobble it down like I haven't eaten in a week. It's one of my favorite elk dishes.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Freebird134 » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

WW, isn't that just nachos? :)
Freebird134

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Actually, I suppose you could call it a taco salad. You can add all sorts of stuff to it to suit your taste.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 6]

At our house most meat is made the same way,
Fried med rare in hot olive oil, sometimes butter is added when the meat is turned
Everyone adds their own what ever,.. Johnys seasoning, salt, ketchup( kids :o ) BBQ sause, sweet and sour( my wife)LesPeire Hienze 57, Daves, soysauce, Teriaki,
Sweet Baby Rays, salt and peper and horseradish are my 3 favorities

Very seldom; but on the grill, Olive oil , grill than season with salt
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Freebird134 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 7]

My new favorite chili recipe. Feel free to double up on the bourbon. Our just have a glass yourself. Instead of their 1:1:1 ratio of venison:beef:pork, I do 1.5lbs ground and 1.5 lbs chunk venison. I think you could adapt that however you like :) Also, the recipe calls for 2 12oz cans of pilsner beer, but whenever I make this I always end up needing at least 6 or 7 bottles of High Life ;)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Drunk-Deer-Chili/
Freebird134

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Freebird134 wrote:My new favorite chili recipe. Feel free to double up on the bourbon. Our just have a glass yourself. Instead of their 1:1:1 ratio of venison:beef:pork, I do 1.5lbs ground and 1.5 lbs chunk venison. I think you could adapt that however you like :) Also, the recipe calls for 2 12oz cans of pilsner beer, but whenever I make this I always end up needing at least 6 or 7 bottles of High Life ;)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Drunk-Deer-Chili/

I like this! Saved. I'm gonna try this but will probably kill the stewed toms for just tomato sauce or V8 juice (not big on cooked toms), add one diced red and green pepper, 4 stocks of celery diced, and throw in a 1/2 a capfull of liquid smoke. Sounds tasty freebird.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Freebird134 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Phantom16 wrote:I like this! Saved. I'm gonna try this but will probably kill the stewed toms for just tomato sauce or V8 juice (not big on cooked toms), add one diced red and green pepper, 4 stocks of celery diced, and throw in a 1/2 a capfull of liquid smoke. Sounds tasty freebird.

I hope you like it! I think the secret ingredient is the bourbon. The first few times I made it I had Knob Creek at home (I like to buy it after a kill, to sip on why butchering) and it was fantastic. Last time was Old Crowe. You can tell a difference, but not a big one. I wouldn't buy something fancy just for the chili, but don't be afraid do pour some good stuff in there. It's worth it!
Freebird134

Postby pointysticks » 02 11, 2013 •  [Post 10]

i have some elk chunks i reserved for sweet and sour elk. i wanna do my stepdad proud. he showed me his recipe from his restaurant years ago..and i commited it to memory. loved that man.

i gotta try some of your stuff guys. i havent gotten past simple salt and pepper yet with my wild meat.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Harmy » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Created my first meat loaf last night. My kids loved it. Used leftovers to make a form of "corned beef hash" this morning too (just fried it up with more eggs and salsa and swiss cheese).

1 lb ground elk
1 lb elk sausage
3 eggs
1 onion finely chopped
4 medium carots shredded
1 bunch parsley chopped
2 pieces of whole wheat bread torn into small pieces
1 tbs dry mustard
2 tbs May Choy sweet pepper sauce

Mixed well and baked at 400 for about 75 minutes.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Vanish » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 12]

For us, we don't do much "special" with any kind of game meat. It is just meat! Sure, it has a slightly different flavor to beef, but we substitute it for any recipe that calls for beef.

One of my favorites is 1/2" steaks, usually from the backstrap, with a dry rub, cooked on the grill for about 6 minutes.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Moose-head » 02 23, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Buy some meat tenderizer at the grocery store. It is inexpensive and makes a world of difference in the tenderness of your steaks. I like the seasoned kind, but there is unseasoned as well. I sprinkle some on each side of the steaks and put them in a pie dish (it works better than a plate, because there is less of a chance of spilling blood in the fridge) then I cover it with saran wrap and let it marinate in the fridge for a couple hours then cook it however you like it.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby Gamblin Guy » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 14]

How did you cut the backstraps? I cut them into roasts, about the same size as a pork loin roast, usually just cut the backstrap in half.

Butterfly the backstap open and stuff it with blue cheese or feta, dependin on what you like best. Wrap it with bacon using tooth pics to secure it to keep the cheese in it, cook it on indirect heat on the grill until the bacon is just getting done, low and slow works well.

Make sure you pull the tooth pics as you cut it, fight the kids off to make sure you get some on your plate.
Gamblin Guy

Postby 8upbowhunter » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Try this:

Cut across backstraps into 1/4" thick pieces.
Using a meat tenderizing hammer, lightly pound each piece until it's about 1/8" thick and the piece is 1.5 times larger.
Add a chunk of creme cheese and a sliced jalapeno pepper and roll up with creme cheese and pepper inside.
wrap with 1/3 slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
Season with your favorite seasoning.
Grill until bacon is cooked but not well done.

This takes a whole lot more time to prepare than it takes your guests to gobble them up.
8upbowhunter

Postby Freebird134 » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 16]

8upbowhunter wrote:Try this:

Cut across backstraps into 1/4" thick pieces.
Using a meat tenderizing hammer, lightly pound each piece until it's about 1/8" thick and the piece is 1.5 times larger.
Add a chunk of creme cheese and a sliced jalapeno pepper and roll up with creme cheese and pepper inside.
wrap with 1/3 slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
Season with your favorite seasoning.
Grill until bacon is cooked but not well done.

This takes a whole lot more time to prepare than it takes your guests to gobble them up.

This is exactly what I do with teal, woodies, or doves!
Freebird134

Postby Z Barebow » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Venison BACON! I had (Emphasis on had!) plenty of venison trim in the freezer and had enough burger. I went out on a limb and tried this recipe and I love it. No it is not whole muscle. It is comparable to turkey bacon, but better! IMHO! Fries up fairly lean. Vension/pork ratio is 50/50. I eat it every weekend. I make bagel sandwiches with it or just plain with eggs and hashbrowns.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1950667

As mentioned, I did do some candied (Venison) bacon for Super Bowl Sunday. To this day, it is still my daughters favorite venison she has eaten.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby ELKrazy » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Actually, I suppose you could call it a taco salad.

Whatever you call it, don't call me late for dinner! MMMmmmm....I am so hungry just reading this thread.

May have to grill up a small venison steak and add it on top of my salad for lunch. :shock: (salivating)
ELKrazy

First Name: Matt

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I call them poppers its backstrap about 3/4 inch thick split open to hold slice of pepper hot or not, wrapped in bacon then grilled over mesqite wood fire. simple and awesome.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Harmy wrote:Created my first meat loaf last night. My kids loved it. Used leftovers to make a form of "corned beef hash" this morning too (just fried it up with more eggs and salsa and swiss cheese).

1 lb ground elk
1 lb elk sausage
3 eggs
1 onion finely chopped
4 medium carots shredded
1 bunch parsley chopped
2 pieces of whole wheat bread torn into small pieces
1 tbs dry mustard
2 tbs May Choy sweet pepper sauce

Mixed well and baked at 400 for about 75 minutes.

This is on my to do list for elk. So far this year I have grilled as many steaks as I can. Right on the grill maybe a touch of seasoning depending on who is eating with me. Most of the time just cook it to med. rare and eat away. Cant get enough of that.
Next really good thing was elk fajitas.
Spaghetti and Meat balls. Ground elk meat used for the meatballs and added a cube of mozzarella cheese on the inside when baked.

We also process most of our own meat for country sausage and bulk. Best recipe used this year was for the jalapeno and cheddar cheese elk summer sausage. Made it with 75/25 mix with pork and turned out awesome!

Some times I just grab a beer and get an idea and go with it haha.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby HurricaneHuge » 12 16, 2015 •  [Post 21]

Hard to believe I didn't see canned venison on the list. I can most of my roasts. Saves freezer space, and the meat is unbelievably good. Basically like shredded beef at that point and extremely versatile. Takes 10 minutes to heat up and you've got a meal. I stir fry it, use it in breakfast scrambles, put it over black rice, you can put it over noodles, etc.
HurricaneHuge

Postby pointysticks » 12 16, 2015 •  [Post 22]

>>>---WW----> wrote:I had Elk Tacos for supper last nite. MMMMMMMMMMM! My lips are still smackin!

There is an art to making them just right. LOL! At least that is what I always tell the wife. First of all, I like mine made with Fritos corn chips instead of tortillas. So I put the Fritos on my plate first. Nexts come a good layer of elk burger fried up with taco seasoning. The next layer is grated cheddar cheese. Then comes the tomato, a dash of pitanti sauce, and top it off with a big tablespoon of sour cream.

I have no idea as to why I'm so particular how I build it up because I stir it all up and gobble it down like I haven't eaten in a week. It's one of my favorite elk dishes.

Nachos?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Brendan » 12 16, 2015 •  [Post 23]

Hank Shaw has some great ones:

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/

I used his Shank recipe, but seared it in a cast iron then dumped everything into a slow cooker until it was falling-of-the-bone tender. Damn good. And to think I used to throw the shanks away... This is the recipe I started with, I did use bone-out shanks instead of bone-on

http://honest-food.net/2012/11/11/brais ... pe-garlic/
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby DBLGBL » 12 16, 2015 •  [Post 24]

Stuffed Venison Tenderloin/Backstrap
I/2 whole Tenderloin cleaned of a silver skin I use white tail
Marinate 1 hour in 3 cups Soy Sauce 1 cup brown sugar
Split down center to create cavity. Do not cut all the way thru,
Stuff Cavity with: Soft cheese of your choice. I like goat cheese and cream cheese mixed with green onion or jalepeno pepper I also add panko bread crumbs to this with fresh black pepper and some sea salt. The crumbs keeps the cheese from running out, you can get creative with the cheese deal (sun dried tomatoes or chives). Fold loin together and wrap entire length in good quality bacon strips.
Next I heat my cast iron grill/griddle very hot and sear each loin on both sides until the bacon is starting to crisp. This takes about 4 minutes per side if the grill is hot enough. Move to preheated 350 oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and rest at least 5 min before slicing
I serve this over Mexi-rice (rice w/onions and red bell pepper) with a red wine, tomato, caramelized onion reduction finished with butter
DBLGBL