Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Vacuum Sealer?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Vacuum Sealer?

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

What is the best vacuum sealer for the money?

We put up vegetables from the garden as well as elk and venison.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Re: Vacuum Sealer?

Postby ST52V » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have not used one for a few years now but I don't do much for long term storage. I use Ziploc bags and hand pump since my last machine broke. I could buy lots of bags for the price of a new machine. Sorry if that doesn't help much.
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Postby Migolito » 07 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I have two of the standard white plastic models(burned out two others). They have served just ok over the years. If I was gonna do it again, I'd look for a commercial unit. I've seen them on Ebay. Expensive at first, but, dirt cheap in the long run.
Migolito

First Name: Mike

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Brand recommendations? Food Saver seems to be a big company, but I don't know if the quality is great. Weston seems to market to the hunters. I may dig around on LEM's site a bit.
Paradox Packs
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby elkmtngear » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I've gone through probably 4 foodsavers over the last 10 years.

One problem is they are not set up for "production work" if you are doing like a whole deer or elk. They get hot and have to recover before they will vacuum or seal...can make for a long day.

As Migolito said...commercial unit might be a great way to go.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby wawhitey » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 6]

i have no constructive opinion on the vacuum sealers, but have you ever tried a pressure cooker? just used one for the first time last november on my deer and im sold. meat turns out great and no thawing / freezer space required. of course youd still need to freeze some burger and steaks, but having some canned meat on hand is really nice
wawhitey

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 7]

wawhitey,

It's weird, I was talking with my 91 year old grandmother about pressure cookers at our family get together today. She doesn't like them. She said that she never canned meat and that water bath canning everything else works well and that's what she likes to do. She has an old pressure cooker around somewhere. She did say that a pressure cooker would work better for meat, but I'm not sure why?

My wife and I are getting a laundry basket full of squash, zucchini, and cucumbers every few days right now (it seems like we could pick it every 30 minutes), so we're blanching and freezing, and made our first batch of pickles the other day.

I'd like to get more into putting up vegetables and canning our own food, just have never learned how to do it. Growing up we always ate fresh from the garden, then butchered, wrapped, and froze our own game, but I've never canned much till now.
Paradox Packs
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby wawhitey » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 8]

well to be honest, i dont know how to do it yet either. my mom has the pressure cooker and did it for me. from what i gather you have to know what youre doing, but im going to have her teach me, so i can do it myself at home. i think canning a bunch of venison from both my buck and my dads was about as much as i can expect her to do. im sure if i try to have her do a bunch of elk on top of that she wont be too thrilled, so time to buy my own and learn how to use it. she just did the raw pack method, nothing but chunks of venison in the jars, and its awesome. cooks inside the jar, and turns out super tender, and any fat thats in the meat floats to the top of the jar where its easily removed. the meat just cooks in its own juices. nice being able to just crack a can of cooked tender meat and make sandwiches or tacos or whatever you can come up with. can even just eat it straight out of the jar if you want. ill ask her if she has a good recommendation on a book or something to read to learn the right way to use one. also she has quite the garden going on, grows pretty much everything that will grow at 3000ft in northern washington. she cans all kinds of vegetables, and makes salsa and jam and whatnot. canning is a pretty handy skill to have
wawhitey

Postby JGH » 07 04, 2013 •  [Post 9]

+1 on canned meat. Wife and I took some camping on a scouting trip last weekend ... canned meat + Idaho instant potatoes + a bag of wine = fine gourmet dining experience.

Canning meat is a great way to preserve it and "cook" it at the same time. It makes great burritos/enchiladas, BBQ meat, etc. And, since it doesn't require refrigeration, it's great for car camping or horse camping (a little heavy for backpacking).

As for vacuum sealers, I've had a FoodSaver, too ... and I agree, they're not set up for production work. I know some people who are happy with the top-end Cabelas ones, though.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Bowhunter » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I have canned lots of deer meat. I dice the meat place it in a jar and cook no water added just the meat and 1/8tsp salt in a jar and screw on a lid. I cook pints for 45 minutes and quarts for 90 minutes at 15lbs of pressure. I use a food saver with no problems. I package some meat in freezer bags and some in vacume bags. I eat the stuff in the freezer bags first because the vacume bags keep longer. No need to vacume if you plan to eat it within a couple months.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 11]

You guys have me wanting to can some venison. Do you have to use the pressure cooker for it? How difficult is it? My Grandmother was telling me stories yesterday of a chicken that exploded right before the preacher came over for lunch....that could be why she doesn't like pressure cookers....:lol:
Paradox Packs
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby elkmtngear » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I'm interested in canning meat as well. I had some black bear meat up in Alaska that was canned, and this native lady made it into stroganoff. It was amazing. Apparently they just used salt and water for the canning process.

I'd be very interested in some detailed recipes, it would help get some use out of my pressure cooker.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Lefty » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 13]

We have a Food Saver.
Make sure you get a vacum sealer that will handel moisture (blood)

Is there anything better than canned(jarred) salmon?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby JGH » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I'll find out more from Wife ... who is off camping now ... of course, though, it is different at altitude. Those of you with more air pressure on you will have totally different directions.

But ... canning meat is wonderful tasting ... it takes the toughest cuts and makes them melt. And it is easy, and requires no freezer. I'll post more when I get the directions next week, but suffice to say, it's not difficult. I liken it to dutch oven cooking: If you've never seen it done well, it looks like Black Magic, but the "practitioner" knows better -- it's really way too simple!
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Lefty wrote:We have a Food Saver.
Make sure you get a vacum sealer that will handel moisture (blood)

Is there anything better than canned(jarred) salmon?

Great point Lefty. Another thing you can do to avoid having a bad seal is to fold a paper towel towards the top of the bag before you seal it up. That way when the vacuum sealer starts to draw the air from the bag (along with some moisture) the moisture is caught in the paper towel allowing for a good seal. Usually one piece will work just fine. Fold it up to about a half inch and make sure it reaches the full with of the bag.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Z Barebow » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Great point Lefty. Another thing you can do to avoid having a bad seal is to fold a paper towel towards the top of the bag before you seal it up. That way when the vacuum sealer starts to draw the air from the bag (along with some moisture) the moisture is caught in the paper towel allowing for a good seal. Usually one piece will work just fine. Fold it up to about a half inch and make sure it reaches the full with of the bag.[/quote]

I do the same. (Paper towel) Another thing you can do is vacuum seal the meat when it is frozen or partially frozen. I have a FoodSaver and I haven't had any problems. (Had it for at least 4 years) I seal all of my sausage and sticks that I make.

Canning- I have done it and it is a great way to do vension. For instructions, visit your local extension office website. (Or do a google search). There is a guy by the handle of fuzzy on Bowsite who's posts got me going.

#1- You must use a pressure cooker for meat. Hot water baths are not hot enough. Not using a pressure cooker can kill you!

Modern pressure cookers have pressure safety releases. So the days of blowing stuff up should be gone. (As long as you keep release clean/operational).

A gas stove would work. Do not use electric or electric/flat top stoves. They can't transfer enough heat to build up pressure. (I use my Coleman camping stove).

I can wide mouth pint jars. Add enough raw meat with ~ 1/2-3/4" of headroom. I then add a tsp of beef bullion. That way I don't have to add any salt. Seal up and cook at 90 min (Off of my memory) w/15 pounds. (If you live above 1000' sea level use 15 pounds, under 1000' 10 pounds. I live at 900', but I opted to be on the safe side. You can add 1/4 c of vinegar to your pressure cooker water prior to boiling/sealing canner if you would like (This keeps the calcium buildup down on your jars/cooker)

Once time has expired, turn off heat and let cool naturally. Wait until pressure is off and then you can use the release button. (Things will still be hot, so wear gloves) Let jars cool some more before handling. (Use a canning tongs to pull them out of canner)

The finished product won't win any beauty contests, but it is quick and easy for meals. Dump off any liquid an fat before throwing into recipe.I use it in stroganoff, chili and tacos. (I like muscle vs ground meat in these dishes). You can mix it with BBQ sauce and you have quick sandwiches. No need to cook, just heat it up. And it will be as tender as if you had it in a crockpot for 8 hours.

American cookers are highly toughted. I have a Presto and it works well.

http://www.casa.com/p/presto-pressure-c ... agpspn=pla
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Vacuum Sealer?

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Z Barebow, that is excellent advice. Thanks!
Paradox Packs
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby caperoll/Scott » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Hi guys, I have used the Food Saver's for several years. They work good but if you get a Food Saver spend the extre couple of dollars and get the high end modles. When I first bought one it was the low end modle and I wore it out in a year. I then bought the high end modle and it has lasted five years. I do at least a deer and and elk every year plus other items evey week end after a trip to the store.
Cape Roll / Scott Ward
(208)-329-0329
http://www.caperoll.com
caperoll/Scott
Site Sponsor