Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Chili Recipes for Elk Camp

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Chili Recipes for Elk Camp

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 03, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I make a very simple chili. It's almost exactly the same as my mom made for 5 kids and my dad in Montana for years. I always freeze a batch or two for my elk hunts (when base camping). Mine goes as follows but would like to hear what some of the other hunter chefs throw in the pot for theirs.

RJ's Montana Chili

1lb Fried Xtra Thick Bacon (drain grease), chopped
1lb Lean Ground Beef (browned/drain grease) - use elk burger if in stock :)
1lb Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage (browned/drain grease)
4 Large Cans Dark Red Kidney Beans (drain juice from 3 cans)
1 Diced Red Onion
1 Cubed Red Pepper
1 Cubed Green Pepper
1 Small Can Tomato Sauce
1/2 Bunch Diced Celery Stocks
1 Small Can Beef Broth
2 Packs McCormick Chili Seasoning (Original)
1/2 Tsp Cumin
1 Cap Liquid Smoke (mesquite)
1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheeze
1 Tbp Brown Sugar

Throw it all in a slow cooker for the day or cook on stove for two and a half hours. It's pretty darn good for a basic recipe. Let's hear yours.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Chili Recipes for Elk Camp

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2014 •  [Post 2]

I don't make camp chili. I take some I cook up at home with me.
A few years ago I bought a couple cans on Stagg's Two Bean Chili. In my life, I never have had such a problem with gas, before or after that incident. I had to move outside for the night, as I could not take it anymore inside. That one can of that chili was all that I ever ate. The other can was given away on a canned food drive. I hope the poor sap that got the other can, lives alone. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 03, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Ah ha! That would explain why this happened last year when I approached your camp which is incidentally, down in the draw 1/2 a mile to the right from where this bull just came from :shock: Perhaps that's why the campire "sparks up" a bit when you stand too close to it. "Just say no" to Stag chili ;)

runningelk.jpg
runningelk.jpg (9.51 KiB) Viewed 5525 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Don't worry RJ. I only tried one can of that stuff. I am totally cured of it now. My motto as far as Stagg's chili is "Never Again". Given a choice between Stagg's chili and nothing, I am opting for hunger. BTW: Was that bull just down wind of me and still running after daylight? I don't blame him. I am sure he would rather get shot by an arrow or bullet than to die trying to hold his breath. :D
Swede

Postby Sean D. » 03 03, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:I don't make camp chili. I take some I cook up at home with me.
A few years ago I bought a couple cans on Stagg's Two Bean Chili. In my life, I never have had such a problem with gas, before or after that incident. I had to move outside for the night, as I could not take it anymore inside. That one can of that chili was all that I ever ate. The other can was given away on a canned food drive. I hope the poor sap that got the other can, lives alone. :D

LOL! Swede I know what your sayin! One year we were camped way back in the middle of nowhere and we had a couple cans of Stagg chili and some velveeta shells and cheese. I decided to mix the two together and was amazed at how good it was. The other guys finally mixed theirs together after me telling them to do it too. I wasnt even finished when my gut made the most awful sound I ever heard. Well actually everybody heard it. They all looked at me with this wierd look and I was like, OMG Something is not right! I sat there for a few seconds waiting to see what was happening and the feeling that came over me was get the hell out of the tent before I explode. I took off out of there like the place was on fire, I didnt make it to far before I had to find a spot! I felt like there was some sort of demon monster trying to get out of my rear end. The other guys were cracking up because of the sounds comeing out of my body. The laughing only lasted a few seconds when I heard one of them say OMG its hitting me now and I seen someone running out of the tent trying to get their pants down. The last guy was cracking up at the two of us the whole time. We both get cleaned up in the creek and head back to the tent. We both still felt like there is a demon inside us somwhere! The last guy is making fun of us because of the groans and grunts that we was making when we all heard his stomach make that same growl mine did. He looked at us with this look like he was about to cry, next thing you know he is running out just like we had before, only difference was we wasnt laughing because the second round was just starting to hit us. That night was the most miserable night ive ever spent in the mountains. The gas was so bad for the next 2 days we all pretty much stayed outside the tents. To this day when I see a can of Stagg chili, I will start sweating and can almost feel my stomach start to rumble!
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby timberland » 03 04, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Where can I get me some of the Stagg's chili. I would like to surprise some "friends" with a nice dinner. :shock:
timberland

First Name: Barry
Last Name: B

Postby Triplebhunters » 03 04, 2014 •  [Post 7]

For camp. I like it simple.

I pkg McKormick original chilli seasoning
1 lb ground meat
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can lght red kidney beans.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby Swede » 03 04, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Timberland: Stagg's chili is still for sale. I saw it at Mal-Wart awhile back. I have never tried any since my first and only incident. When I see it in a grocery store, I look the other way and keep walking. That stuff was awful. Stagg's must have just had a few bad batches. If they are still putting that garbage out, they should be required to eat it themselves.
Swede

Postby Sean D. » 03 04, 2014 •  [Post 9]

timberland, make sure you dont mind losing them as friends cause they are gonna hate you afterwards lol! I know Walmart and Sams club carry it! Im not sure how it tastes by itself but mixed with velveeta shells and cheese it was good!
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby husky390 » 03 05, 2014 •  [Post 10]

If I'm going to hunt from a truck camp, I'll make a batch of this and freeze it about a month before my hunt. I'll let it thaw and then heat it up for dinner. Add some cheese and tortillas and it's delicious. Depending on the chilis, it could have some good heat to it from fermenting.

http://www.food.com/recipe/elk-green-chili-stew-421925
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B