Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

You guys want more Butchery threads ?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

You guys want more Butchery threads ?

Postby Huntrgathr » 08 24, 2015 •  [Post 1]

There was a really good response to the Flatiron Steak thread and a few people said they'd be interested in learning more about butchery. Cutting your own meat will always yield better results than dropping it off at the processor and adds more to the hunting experience IMO. If all goes well I'll be cutting meat again here in a week or two and could post up some new threads. Just let me know what you guys are interested in learning more about and I'll try to get pics and post up some how-to's. Any specific field dressing or home butchery techniques you want to see ?
Huntrgathr

Re: You guys want more Butchery threads ?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 24, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Heck ya! Although I didn't comment on the Flatiron Steak thread, I found it very educational. We used to process all our own meat when I was a pup but it's been years and years since I've done anything like that. If not too cumbersome, I'd love to see a thread on the process you use "from field to freezer" going through the processing steps with images/photos.... that would be epic!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 24, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Awesome idea, I would love to see that. I didn't comment on the other thread either. I am in the group that didn't know about the flat iron steak until last year. Told the butcher I wanted it sliced for jerky and he was rather offended by that. I am glad he convinced me out of it. Same goes for roasts, always just taken a good size/good looking piece a meat.....and that's my roast. Never get any complaints with cooking, but it would sure be nice to know the 'correct' cuts.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 24, 2015 •  [Post 4]

YES! Thats exactly what i was hoping someone would do! As BrentLaBere said it would be nice to know the correct cuts. I am mostly interested in what to do with the hind 1/4's. Last year I separated each muscle in the back legs looking to see what would be good for what? Ended up grinding everything :oops: . That sucks!
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby nrocchio » 08 24, 2015 •  [Post 5]

I would love to see a butchery thread as well. I think it would be a great thing to learn. Hopefully I'll need to figure out how to do it this year :D
nrocchio

First Name: Nick
Last Name: R.

Postby powderhogg01 » 08 24, 2015 •  [Post 6]

I would love to have that. I grew up hunting, but never really got into it too much as a kid. not until I hit my mid 20's and realized what I wanted from life that I started to hunt more. Due to my lack of caring I never learned to properly butcher. I can handle a deer and get all the basic cuts, but sometimes I feel like I could use a refresher
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen

Postby elkstalker » 08 24, 2015 •  [Post 7]

I love to cook and butcher all of our meat, but I still have a lot to learn! I'd love to see a thread that talks about the tenderest muscle groups/cuts on the hindquarter. I generally use the larger muscle groups for steaks, especially on deer, and the smaller ones for stir fry/steak tacos/etc. But elk provide some pretty large muscle groups, and by the time we cook them, I honestly forget which muscle it was cut out from. Some are definitely more tender, I'd be interested in learning which ones. Thanks!
elkstalker

Postby WYO_ELK » 08 24, 2015 •  [Post 8]

I would love it. I know how to break the hams down into the 7 (?) different roasts, but would love to know the names of them and which ones I can further process into steaks. I haven't processed my own elk yet, have only shot 2, but I plan on it thisnyear.
WYO_ELK

Postby redtop » 08 25, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Absolutely. I've been butchering my game for over 40 years but I can always learn something new. Thanks!
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby Vids » 08 25, 2015 •  [Post 10]

Yes, I would love to see more.

Specifically - I have had trouble figuring out the different steak cuts in a hind quarter, like where exactly the sirloin and round steaks come from, where one ends and the other begins. And where the best roasts come from, I just take a big hunk of meat from the rear quarter and am probably doing it wrong.
Vids

First Name: Gary
Last Name: Vidlock

Postby Passin Thru » 09 02, 2015 •  [Post 11]

You can't know too much. We let our quarters hang 6 days, hide on, to age in a locker. Otherwise, when we age beef we use cheese cloth around the quarters. Not trying to show anyone up, just adding. This is a good chart to show you what your Elk quartered should look like.
http://www.wapitiriver.com/images/Wapit ... rt_web.jpg I want to give them credit for this chart also. Not my site. I hope there is no Copyright violation.
Passin Thru

Postby Tigger » 09 02, 2015 •  [Post 12]

I would be interested in deboning tips and tricks. We all do it and get the job done, but I am sure that I could be way better at it. And a little bit of reverse thinking....what do you recommend for grinding? Many people want hamburger, so something needs to get ground up.
Tigger

Postby Huntrgathr » 10 08, 2015 •  [Post 13]

Still planning on posting up some butchery threads. Got an elk down early Sept but still had another tag to fill so had to speed-cut it in a day to get back in the woods...
I'll put up a " basics of butchery" thread since I have the pics for that already. Still have tags for Nov so I should be able to put together some pictorials on the breakdown and cuts...
Huntrgathr

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 08, 2015 •  [Post 14]

Sweet!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby IdahoD » 10 08, 2015 •  [Post 15]

I'm excited to see what comes of this. I'm always second guessing myself with cuts of meat. Very good of you to take the time to do this!
IdahoD

First Name: Austin
Last Name: Dahl

Postby pd » 10 11, 2015 •  [Post 16]

Vids wrote:Yes, I would love to see more.

Specifically - I have had trouble figuring out the different steak cuts in a hind quarter, like where exactly the sirloin and round steaks come from, where one ends and the other begins. And where the best roasts come from, I just take a big hunk of meat from the rear quarter and am probably doing it wrong.

Exactly this.

Front shoulder is not such a problem (most guys seem to burger the fronts), and the briskets/neck meats also seem to go to burger. But the hind quarter is a different story. If you were using a bandsaw, and cutting across the grain (bone in), I could see the cuts. But if you de-bone the hind quarter (for example, follow the obvious line to separate muscle groups), then what becomes steaks, what becomes roasts???

A personal request: I try to keep the backstrap and tenderloins intact, so that we could cut the Ribeye steaks out (bone in). I know this isn't possible when packing from deep in the woods. So, what to do?? I really like Ribeye steaks with the bone.

Looking forward to your answers.
pd

First Name: p
Last Name: d

Postby pointysticks » 12 04, 2015 •  [Post 17]

Excellent
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l