Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Roast Recipes?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Roast Recipes?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 20, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Anyone have some good roast recipes they wanna share?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Roast Recipes?

Postby pointysticks » 12 04, 2015 •  [Post 2]

Dry roast is tough. ( literally)

I opt for pot roast styles w wild game.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Brendan » 12 05, 2015 •  [Post 3]

This entire website is amazing, Hank Shaw is the man when it comes to this stuff.

http://honest-food.net/2012/12/25/roast ... dumplings/

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/veniso ... man-style/

I haven't tried his roast recipes yet, but had great luck doing shanks using a recipe from his site...
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby elkstalker » 12 07, 2015 •  [Post 4]

I do roasts two ways, sear/grill it and finish it in the oven to medium rare, or braise it low and slow until the meat falls apart (BBQ sauce, beer, wine, beef broth, etc)
elkstalker

Postby DBLGBL » 12 10, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Italian Pot Roast Slow Cooker
I use the round roast from the center of a whitetail ham.
Sear roast on all sides first in cast iron
Place roast in slow cooker and add 16 oz of beef broth
I package of lipton onion soup mix sprinkled over roast
2 to three medium yellow onions quartered
Italian seasoning to your taste (two to three good shakes)
cook 8 hours. Remove roast.
add 1/2 to 3/4 lb small fresh whole mushrooms & 1 8 oz can tomato paste and 16oz can tomato sauce to remaining liquid (you may need to add more beef broth or water) and cook until mushrooms are done
serve sliced roast over rice or egg noodles topped with sauce
DBLGBL

Postby elkstalker » 12 18, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Had two great and easy ones recently.

1) Slow smoked elk/deer roast
Take your roast and coat it in your favorite steak seasoning, almost so much that it forms a crust. Let it sit in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight. Smoke at 160 for 5 hours or until done. This was fantastic and great for sandwiches the next day.

2) BBQ Elk Sandwiches (Works on all game from Elk to Goose)
Place roast in crock pot and cover with enough BBQ sauce to cover. Cook on low for about 8 hours. Using a fork, shred the meat and serve on a bun.
elkstalker

Postby HurricaneHuge » 12 18, 2015 •  [Post 7]

I'll offer an alternative for the roast meat (mainly because I don't have a great roast recipe), but cubing and canning it. Amazingly versatile meat done that way.
HurricaneHuge

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 07, 2016 •  [Post 8]

I gave my boss an elk roast a few months ago. Her husband used the following method to cook/smoke it up a while back and it came out fantastic (I was able to sample of bit of it). He did the following:

Rub thawed out roast in rub of choice (he said he just used a mixture of seasonings he had). Let it sit in fridge overnight in large zip lock. Next morning, he took it out of fridge/zip lock and rubbed it down with kosher salt and let it sit, back in the zip lock, at room temp for a couple of hours. He then put the roast in a pre-heated oven at 420 degrees for 20 minutes in shall pan on oven rack (after dabbing off excess moisture with paper towels). He said this "pre bake" gave it the crisp outside texture. After that, he put it in his smoker for about 2 1/2 hours and waited to get internal temp up to a bit over 160 degrees. Said he hit with apple and alder wood chips just once in the beginning of the smoking process.

It really, was one of the best roasts I've ever tasted. The boss had brought in some slices to make a sandwich and I relieved her of one of the slices... Make me think about doing a roast this way, eating my fill, and then vacuum sealing some nice packages of slices roast for future sands.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 01 08, 2016 •  [Post 9]

HurricaneHuge wrote:I'll offer an alternative for the roast meat (mainly because I don't have a great roast recipe), but cubing and canning it. Amazingly versatile meat done that way.

My brother use to can a few whitetails every year. Incredible , Makes my mouth water just talking about it
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H