Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Green Chili

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Green Chili

Postby husky390 » 11 20, 2015 •  [Post 1]

I've made this recipe a few times and it's pretty good. It's a little on the soupy side and I haven't quite figured out how to thicken it up yet but even still it's good. We used the Poblano chili's that are sold here in Denver when in season.

http://www.food.com/recipe/elk-green-chili-stew-421925
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Re: Elk Green Chili

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 23, 2015 •  [Post 2]

That looks like a dandy recipe to cook in the summer and bag/freeze for an elk camp meal!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby redtop » 11 24, 2015 •  [Post 3]

A great way to thicken your green chili is to dice up a few corn tortillas and throw them in the last fifteen minutes before serving. They really fill out the chili flavor.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby husky390 » 11 24, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Thanks redtop, I'll give it a shot.

I did the same thing Phantom. Cooked it up and froze it during the summer, brought it out for elk camp. The chilis fermented nicely and it had a good kick to it.
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby Elkduds » 11 27, 2015 •  [Post 5]

Mix some masa harina w water for an authentic Mexican chile-thickening agent.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby RichM » 11 29, 2015 •  [Post 6]

Could add some potato, the starch would help thicken it up. Russets would come apart more to thicken more than red or yukon golds.
RichM

First Name: Rich
Last Name: M

Postby pointysticks » 12 04, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Crush a handful of tortilla chips. Imparts a fantastic roasted corn flavor.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby saddlesore » 01 26, 2016 •  [Post 8]

husky390 wrote:I've made this recipe a few times and it's pretty good. It's a little on the soupy side and I haven't quite figured out how to thicken it up yet but even still it's good. We used the Poblano chili's that are sold here in Denver when in season.

http://www.food.com/recipe/elk-green-chili-stew-421925

Mix about a tablespoon of corn starch with cold water until it isn't lumpy and add to the mix that will thicken it up. If it isn't thick enough,add more
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 01 26, 2016 •  [Post 9]

Green Chili Stew
2 cups water or a cup of water and cup of milk
2 cans cream potato soup (first time ,I only added one)
1 lb elk or venison ground meat
3 fresh roasted medium hot chilies, I can of mild chopped chilies ( pretty spicey)
1 onion, chopped into 1/2 “ cubes
3 med potatoes chopped into ½” cubes or two cans of canned potatoes
½ tbsp parsley flakes
½ tsp garlic salt
1 bay leaf(optional)
¼ tsp oregano
1/8-1/4 tsp greek seasoning
Sautee onions and cook ground meat with the onions.
Add water ( or milk), spices, chilies
Cook potatoes separately or use canned potatoes.
When meat/onions /spices are cooked , add cream of potato soup and potatoes.
Simmer until desired consistency.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby RichM » 04 13, 2016 •  [Post 10]

I haven't tried elk yet, but works great with pork.
How I make Green Chile stew (read all the way though first please, I wrote this from memory and it may not flow real well).

Ingredients;
¾ to 1 pound of pork cut into cubes (I usually pick up some loin or chops and put them in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up so they cut easier)
1 quart bag of Green Chile diced, with seeds and stems removed (a little over a cup)
2 quarts chicken stock/broth
3 medium Red or Yukon gold potatoes (Russets get too soft for my taste)
1 medium yellow (sweet) onion
3 carrots
3 celery stalks
1 bulb garlic
Approximately 1 table spoons all purpose flour (optional, for thickening if desired)
Approximately 3 table spoons canola/avocado oil (high smoke point)
Salt and pepper

Prep work;
Cube pork and potatoes. Slice carrots, onions and celery. Cut the tail end off the bulb of garlic to expose the cloves, wrap in aluminum foil and put in a 300 degree oven for about 10 minutes (i.e. roast the garlic) and set aside.

Cooking:
Over medium heat Sauté/sweat the onion with 1 table spoon of the oil in large pan. Toss cubed pork with oil and some salt. Using a 6 quart and small, so it doesn't cool the pot too much, brown pork in a 6 quart pot on high heat (I like to get a good crust formed on the meet but I don't use this step to cook the meat though) Remove each small batch once browned. Lower heat to med-low add drippings from pork and let the water from the drippings boil off, one to two minutes. Sprinkle/Sift in the 1 table spoons of flour and mix well so it soaks up all the fat, let the flour/fat mixture cook for a minute or two (this is to make a rue to help thicken, you can skip this or use corn starch at the end of the cooking depending on how you like the stew). Stir the pork back in then add the chicken stock, bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and sautéed onions bring back to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Crush the roasted garlic and add to stock. Let potatoes simmer for about 10 minutes. Then add carrots let simmer for another 5 minutes then add celery for another 5. Salt and pepper to taste.

Comments:
You might have to add a cup or three of water, depends on the size of the vegetables so the stew doesn't become too thick with ingredients.
Getting a good crust on the pork really adds some flavor to the stew, turn on the vent fan and don't be afraid of a little smoke. Just don't burn the brown "crusties" that will be left on the bottom of the pan, they also add a lot of flavor once you deglaze the pan with the chicken stock.
I also sometimes add some oregano and/or a pinch of cumin. I also sometimes only use 5 or 6 cloves of the roasted garlic, depends on the freshness of the garlic and my mood, but roasting really cuts the bite of the garlic. If you need to use garlic powder I would limit it to 1 teaspoon.
I stage the vegetables because I like the carrots and celery to be cooked but not soft, but it is all personal preference.
I've also use a long slow crockpot type cooking to make the stew with success. I just had to accept that the celery and carrots where going to be really tender, the trade is the pork also comes out super tender.
If I use bone-in pork chops I will add the bones to the boil and let them boil for 10-20 minutes before I add the potatoes.

Hope this give you some ideas.
Rich
RichM

First Name: Rich
Last Name: M

Postby Mike_Parson » 04 22, 2016 •  [Post 11]

cant wait to give these a try!!
14' Bowtech RPM 360. 29", 67#
100Gr. Ramcat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows

08' Diamond Rock, 29" ,65#