Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Game Processing Cuts

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Game Processing Cuts

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 31, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Found this the other day. Looks pretty accurate.

image.jpg
image.jpg (172.12 KiB) Viewed 2052 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Game Processing Cuts

Postby GoGriz1234 » 08 19, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Phantom,

Thanks for posting this. Just out of curiosity, do you either trim and label a lot of these cuts yourself when processing an elk or having it processed? I only ask because I am use to seeing other peoples processed/ wrapped deer and elk (still waiting for my first) labeled generically as "roasts" or "steaks", but nothing super specific. I would think the more specific you can be the better in terms of cooking technique when something is pulled out of the freezer 6 months down the line.
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: Game Processing Cuts

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 21, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Grizz, I imagine it depends on the processor? I have my elk processed in both WA and ID and either outfit labels things a bit differently. But, yes... you're correct; if you can get your processor to label the cuts with more specificity than just "burger, roasts, steaks", that's certainly important for down the road. I'm sure it's easier for the wild game processor if you either bring in whole quarters (so they can see what they're cutting up), or, keep your boned out meat somewhat separated by type (loins/straps, front quarter meat, hind quarter meat, etc.).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ