Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sunday Smoked Wapiti Roast

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sunday Smoked Wapiti Roast

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 09, 2016 •  [Post 1]

OK, experimenting a bit here but somewhat following the recipe I mentioned in the roast thread. Want to see if my old school Big Chief smoker (which I've used primarily on smoked salmon) can do the job on a roast.

Defrosted 4 pound cross-rib elk roast.
Rub - Base of Grill Mate Sweet & Smokey rub with a "good" amount of Alpine Touch Hickory Smoke seasoning and Himalayan Pink Salt blended in. A goodly handful of shakes of garlic powder, onion powder, and a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar topped off the rub mix.

Phase one complete (rubdown), now it's off to the fridge for the rest of the day and overnight. I'll be up with the birds to get phase two rolling!

IMG_2784.JPG
IMG_2784.JPG (129.29 KiB) Viewed 1695 times

IMG_2785.JPG
IMG_2785.JPG (160.15 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Sunday Smoked Wapiti Roast

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 10, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Umm, bad news. Got up early this morning, let the roast sit at room temp for an hour, then in the oven at 420 for 20 minutes. Prepped the smoker while the roast was in the oven. Crapsticks! Element is obviously bad in my little smoker as it kept tripping the circuit I had it plugged into. Adjusting fire now. Will whip up a bit of an olive oil baste and put the roast on the grill in a few hours. Oh, well... time to get a new smoker I think ;)
WapitiTalk1

Re: Sunday Smoked Wapiti Roast

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 12, 2016 •  [Post 3]

OK, I adjusted fire (so to speak) on Sunday with the prepped elk roast. Smoker had issues so I decided to go another route. I still baked the roast in the oven for about 24 minutes at 420 degrees. Then, I put the roast on my BBQ, rubbed down with some olive oil, for about 1 1/2 if I remember correctly till the internal temp was a bit below 160 (155 I think). I also put a good handful of apple wood chips in a tin foil container with holes poked in it on a hot area on the grill which provided some pretty decent smoke in the BBQ. Came out really good actually and I may use that method again. I still need to get the old smoker back on line though.. I think it just needs a new element.
WapitiTalk1