Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Favorite Elk recipes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Favorite Elk recipes

Postby Osprey » 01 11, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I figured this would been a neat off season topic. This past season I was fortunate enough to harvest my first Elk which put a lot of great tasting meat in the freezer. I was wondering what some of your favorite recipes have been? So far I've made a stew out of some neck meat, the tenderloins grilled with butter and cracked pepper, cracked pepper jerky from a section of rump roast, burgers (swiss with proscuitto ham & also bacon blue cheese), Tacos. I think I've been eating it 2 days a week since early Nov more burger thawing as we speak.
Osprey

Re: Favorite Elk recipes

Postby Waygoner » 01 11, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I make elk burger by running it through a grinder with some cheap bacon. Two passes gets it mixed well. My wife has a grinder attachment for her Kitchenaid mixer. Kinda slow but it works well. Makes excellent hamburgers.
Waygoner

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 12, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Favorite? Probably just good old grilled steak sprinkled with Alpine Touch, cooked fast to just a bit over medium, with a baked tater with all the fixings (bacon bits, melted cheese, chopped scallions).

The roast I made this weekend came out pretty darn good too. Was going to smoke it but after discovering the heating element in my old school smoker had issues, I put it on the grill for a bit over an hour (after pre cooking it in a 420 degree oven for 25 minutes) for about 1 1/2 hours to an internal temp of about 155. Put some apple wood chips in a folded up tin foil container on hot area of grill with holes poked in it that created enough smoke to flavor the roast. Guess I better update that thread :D
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ishy » 01 22, 2016 •  [Post 4]

I'm normally a bbq guy, but have been playing with the skillet I got my wife for Christmas that she hates. Just braze for a few minutes then throw into the oven with whatever seasonings you like.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Timber » 05 14, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Nothing beats the good ole recipe of TONS of butter and sweet onions. Season the meat with some lawrys and pepper throw the meat in the pan and top with finely cut onions. Cook med heat until onions are a bit brown. A baked/boiled potatoes and dump the butter and onions over the smashed up tater!! Easy, simple and everyone loves it. I call it the "cholesterol bomb" for good reason....
Timber

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 15, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Timber wrote:Nothing beats the good ole recipe of TONS of butter and sweet onions. Season the meat with some lawrys and pepper throw the meat in the pan and top with finely cut onions. Cook med heat until onions are a bit brown. A baked/boiled potatoes and dump the butter and onions over the smashed up tater!! Easy, simple and everyone loves it. I call it the "cholesterol bomb" for good reason....

Yum. Timber, have you tried out the Alpine Seasoning lineup (one of our sponsors here)? They're worth a try for sure; I've used their spices for many, many years and always have some Alpine Touch original blend and now, some hickory smoke in the cabinet.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Timber » 05 19, 2016 •  [Post 7]

No I have not Phantom but I will be sure to check it out and most likely purchase some of this. I love food and trying new seasonings and flavors! Thanks!
Timber

Postby Toothy » 05 23, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Waygoner wrote:I make elk burger by running it through a grinder with some cheap bacon. Two passes gets it mixed well. My wife has a grinder attachment for her Kitchenaid mixer. Kinda slow but it works well. Makes excellent hamburgers.

I grind all my own burger too, but when I found out our grocer will give me fat for free I quit buying cheap bacon.. Now I just call early in the morning before they start trimming and they will bag left over pork, even beef trimmings.. no charge. It's worth the phone call.
Toothy

Postby saddlesore » 06 06, 2016 •  [Post 9]

Grilled steaks with seasoned salt, Greek seasoning ads ground sage, spritzed with olive oil, Stuffed peppers with ground elk,only instead of using tomatoe sauce and diced tomatoes in the ground meat ,I put green enchilada sauce and diced roasted green chiles, topped with grated cheddar cheese..

Another is enchilada casserole. In a pie pan, layer up tortillas, ground elk meat, green enchilada sauce, diced green chiles, and grated cheddar cheese. Have everything hot when preparing ,except cheese. Do 3-4 layers Place a good layer of the cheese on top and place in over about 350 degrees until cheese is melted
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WYO_ELK » 07 08, 2016 •  [Post 10]

my favorite is probably a flat iron steak cooked at medium heat in a cast iron pan with butter. throw in a baked sweet potato and mixed veggies. damn. never go past medium rare. also, flat iron steak is a cut from the front shoulder, often used as grind meat. I'll take a flat iron steak over back strap. flavor is much better

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
WYO_ELK