Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Burgers

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Burgers

Postby elkstalker » 02 05, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I rarely cook elk or deer burgers, I've always thought they were too dry for some reason. Well last night I did something right, and they turned out fantastic. Mixed garlic salt, steak seasoning, pepper, and a couple tablespoons of bacon grease in with the meat, formed patties and fried in a heavy skillet. How do you do wild game burgers?
elkstalker

Re: Burgers

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 05, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I'm a big fan of grilled elk burgers!

2 lbs pure elk burger (no suet mixed in during processing)
1 lb lean beef burger
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/4 red onion (finely diced)
2 TBP Winchester Sauce
1/2 clove finely minced garlic
TSP each of oregano and thyme

Pre heat grill to medium-high heat. Combine all ingredients and make into large patties, put small crater in the middle of each burg so they don't football out during grilling. Sprinkle with Alpine Touch Hickory Smoke seasoning and grill burgers to medium-well. While burgers are cooking, lightly butter large burger buns and grill till nicely toasted. Two pieces of crispy bacon and a large tomato slice tops each burger when served (additional red onion slices are available if desired). Condiment spreads available on counter are the basics.....mayo, ketchup, and mustard. Usually served with a side of tato or macaroni salad.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 02 05, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I never add any fat to my ground meat. Elk or deer. I find that if I only turn them once,they stay together. 95% of my meat is done on the outside grill. Unless it is blizzarding or raining, I then do indoors.Usually all I do is salt, ground sage and a dash of greek seasoning on any game I cook. I guess I like the taste better than adding a bunch of cover spices to it.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Scrap_Iron » 02 11, 2016 •  [Post 4]

I'm not a fan of dry burgers so I always mix a some type of fat with the ground elk meat when I grind it. I've experimented with 10-20% beef fat, 10-20% pork fat, 20% uncooked bacon, cheddar cheese/dried jalapenos... My personal favorite is 15% beef fat ground with the elk meat. I prefer cooking burgers on a charcoal grill but I'll use the gas grill if I'm lazy or in a pinch for time. I'll season with a little Lowry's salt and pepper. The time I used cheese and dried jalapenos in the elk burger mix was an experiment with only a couple pounds of meat. It turned out really well, actually. I can't remember how much of each I used though. I like the bacon burger mix too. It's just enough smoky bacon flavor, if you're into that.

With all of the above additions I've tried I just mix them with the elk meat and run it though the grinder together. I've gotten into the practice of stamping out my burger patties at the time I grind the meat. I bought a little $5 burger stamper from wall-mart that works great for this. I'll usually do 3 to a pound then vacuum seal and freeze.
Scrap_Iron

Postby sojurner 65 » 04 08, 2016 •  [Post 5]

It's generally accepted that you need a little fat in your burger meat, no matter what kind of animal. If there's no grease in the pan or bubbling out it can be dry tasting. I always have my venison mixed with pork and beef, family likes it that way.
sojurner 65

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Eckhart