Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Reverse seared roast

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Reverse seared roast

Postby swmoelk » 02 29, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I tried this technique last weekend and it was amazing.

I used a tri tip but I bet any decent cut would work.
Rub the outside with salt,pepper,ground corriander is and garlic. I let it set for 18 hours in the fridge with the rub on. Then set it out and let it warm while I heated the smoker to 225° . Put the meat in for an hour or so until the internal temp was 115-120. Pull off the smoker and tent with foil for a 15 minute rest period.Then transferred to the hottest grill I could achieve until each side had a nice crust. Once I was satisfied with the sear on each side I pulled it off and let it rest under foil for another 15-20 minutes. Then just slice it against the grain . Mine turned out medium rare to medium but in had family over that prefers well done so I went a little past for them then let them eat the end pieces.

I'm no recipe writer so Google reverse sear and let me know what you try. The tri tip was about 2.5 inches thick.
swmoelk

First Name: jarred
Last Name: brotherton

Re: Reverse seared roast

Postby lamrith » 03 01, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Reverse sear is the way to go!!

We could never cook steaks before. I got a pellet grill a year and a half ago and finally tried reverse sear. I will never go back. For me I think using a temp probe also helped but that reverse sear just works!!

I have been wondering about cold smoking something like a roast to keep the temps down while getting more time in smoke to add flavor.. Problem is keeping it down out of the danger zone.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Re: Reverse seared roast

Postby elkstalker » 03 10, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I've used this method on thick (1" +) Steaks and it works great, I can imagine it would work wonders on an elk tenderloin or loin roast, I know I in order to get it to medium rare I often get the edges a bit more crispy than they should be :)
elkstalker