Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk camp celebration meal

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk camp celebration meal

Postby elkhuntfever » 03 25, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Fellas, you have hunted hard out of base camp and you were finally rewarded with an elk on the ground. After the work of hauling everything back to camp, you want to celebrate with a meal of fresh elk. What would you make?
elkhuntfever

Re: Elk camp celebration meal

Postby DBLGBL » 03 26, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Well realize that our base camp comes equipped with queen size beds and 18" cast iron skillets :) I'm not a liver fan so most likely butterflied tender loins, with home made cat head biscuits and gravy, roasted rosemary potatoes and a tossed salad. One of the guy's mother always makes sure we have a fresh coconut cake in camp. All followed by the traditional kill shot of Wild Turkey 101. If I ate every day like we do in elk camp I would weigh 300 lbs.

2gbl
DBLGBL

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 26, 2016 •  [Post 3]

One fresh loin and a part of a back strap (both cuts sliced a bit less than 1" thick), cooked a bit less than medium, with a very large side of fried tatos and onions. As always, there is some good sipping bourbon floating around my camp to savor with the meal. The benefactor of the feast is normally present in the cook shack/lounge (glorified gazebo with a table and chairs). I have it on good authority that Indian Summer just hunkers down in a corner and gnaws on a front quarter 8-)

I like your style DBLGBL!

IMG_2493.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby six » 03 29, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Elk loin cooked over a campfire, Fritos corn chips, and a cold Coors Light.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool