Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Smokers

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Smokers

Postby Hot Cow » 04 14, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Hello all!
I have a Bradley smoker now but am thinking about building my own in my back yard. Does anyone have any ideas or pictures of their set up?
Hot Cow

First Name: Tim

Smokers

Postby Brendan » 04 15, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Definitely not a "build it yourself" smoker, but Kamado Joe Big Joe for me. Works as everything from a high temp pizza oven to low and slow smoking... I guess I did build the little stand it goes on, does that count? :D

Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Re: Smokers

Postby Mike_Parson » 04 22, 2016 •  [Post 3]

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!
14' Bowtech RPM 360. 29", 67#
100Gr. Ramcat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows

08' Diamond Rock, 29" ,65#
100Gr. RamCat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows
Mike_Parson

Postby alaska drop camp » 02 11, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I built one out of wood, plywood to be exact, it took a little while to get it seasoned but it works great, I smoke everything from fish to bacon and ham in it.
alaska drop camp

Postby jmez » 02 12, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Here is a set of plans for a pretty simple model. If I were building one I would put the smoke box off to the side so you didn't have to open the door every time you needed to add chips.

http://animalscience.uconn.edu/extension/publications/build_smokehouse.pdf
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby lamrith » 02 13, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I run a rectec pellet grill. Not the heavy smoke some of you will get but I love my pellet grill. They are great at everything from low n slow to high temp grilling/baking. Nothing like 6min papa murphy's wood fired pizza, next night might be reverse seared steaks, then pork shoulder or ribs on the weekend...

Helps being a pellet dealer too, never run out of fuel!
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby saddlesore » 02 14, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Not plans,but here is what I have determined what I needed.
1. A unit that you can control the smoking chamber temperature . Electric has worked better for me than charcoal.
2. A means of monitoring the temperature what the smoker chamber is at
3. A way to add chips without opening the main smoking chamber
4. A means of monitoring the internal temperature of the meat you are smoking. Walmart sells little one that has a probe with a 3-4 foot lead that you attach to a digital meter outside the chamber for about $12
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby nolanjs55@gmail.com » 03 01, 2017 •  [Post 8]

I love an offset smoker. Been doing competition BBQ for a while now, nothing controls heat like a 1/4" guage steel and fully welded barrel smoker. Here is the one I run at home.. and for fun Id throw out our new company logo. Look for BBQ sauces, Rubs and BBQ at local Denver area farmers markets this summer.
Attachments
FullSizeR (1).jpg
FullSizeR (1).jpg (102.82 KiB) Viewed 6209 times
nolanjs55@gmail.com

First Name: justin
Last Name: nolan

Postby nolanjs55@gmail.com » 03 01, 2017 •  [Post 9]

forgot to post the smoker....
Attachments
FullSizeRender (5).jpg
FullSizeRender (5).jpg (151.53 KiB) Viewed 6209 times
nolanjs55@gmail.com

First Name: justin
Last Name: nolan

Postby Stick » 03 05, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Take a look at a Pit Barrel smoker! Those things are awesome! Not at home currently or would send you a pic. Not sure you could build one because of the size and dimensions are special to that particular smoker. Great investment for sure.
Not all who wander are lost!
Stick

Postby saddlesore » 04 21, 2017 •  [Post 11]

The things I have had the most problems with is knowing the temperature of the smoker vs the internal temperature of the item being smoked and then controlling the smoker temperature accurately.

I found Walmart carries digital probes with a 4 ft lead for $12 that lets me get both the temperatures, but I had to rig a temperature controller on my electric smoker.Theses are not very accurate and research has shown that most commercial smokers are not either.So I cannot just go off and leave the smoker for hours without checking on it
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby GoGriz1234 » 06 25, 2017 •  [Post 12]

I had the hardest time figuring out which route I wanted to go with a smoker, I.e. Stick burner, pellet, propane, etc, so I made a mini-wsm for around $65 and I love it. If anyone is similary on the fence, the mini-wsm is a great way to get your feet wet.
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby scubohuntr » 06 29, 2017 •  [Post 13]

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=381 will take care of your temperature control and monitoring, provided you go electric. It will also monitor meat temperature. If you are really OCD about monitoring things, go with the 6-probe FireBoard unit http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/products/fireboard-cloud-connected-smart-thermometer. Cheap thermometers are a waste of time; they're not even heavy enough to throw at the neighbor's dog to get it off your lawn. Don't even bother looking at the built-in thermometer on your smoker, it's guaranteed to be way off.
scubohuntr