Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

taking rib meat/ gutless method

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

taking rib meat/ gutless method

Postby currie » 06 20, 2016 •  [Post 1]

i'm thinking this way of taking the ribs off is perfect.

https://youtu.be/qMf-sSL4phE
currie

Re: taking rib meat/ gutless method

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 23, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I don't save rib meat but very interesting VID!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Timber » 07 05, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I take the rib meat off without the bones. That is a lot of extra weight(fat, bones) not to mention being bulky. Interesting video though. I have cut meat for many years and never saw a rib cage coming off like that until now.
Timber

Postby Mike_Parson » 09 07, 2016 •  [Post 4]

is there a lot of good meat between the ribs? is it worth the time and effort to cut it all out? its not worth it on a deer but I have never killed an elk so i am very curious.
14' Bowtech RPM 360. 29", 67#
100Gr. Ramcat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows

08' Diamond Rock, 29" ,65#
100Gr. RamCat Broadhead
BloodSport FPS Hunter arrows
Mike_Parson

Postby Timber » 10 08, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Mike, I know everyone has their own method but a little here and a little there goes a long ways. I love elk meat so want as much as I can get. To answer your question no there is not a ton of meat between the ribs and after you trim the garbage away from that obviously less. I by no means have a carcass that looks like scavengers have picked away at it for a month when I am done but I try to get most of it.
Timber

Postby Brendan » 10 09, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Mike_Parson wrote:is there a lot of good meat between the ribs? is it worth the time and effort to cut it all out? its not worth it on a deer but I have never killed an elk so i am very curious.

I used to think the same thing about deer. Then I kept 2 full racks off a doe last year. Broke them down so they fit in my slow cooker and cooked them for 4-6 hours with spices and all sorts of good stuff until they were falling off the bone tender. Took them out of the slow cooker, added some dry rub and some sugary barbecue sauce and tossed them on the grill to char them up. DAMN GOOD to the point I'm not getting rid of ribs again unless carrying them out or freezer space is an issue.....

Seriously, try it...
Brendan

First Name: Brendan