Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I had to throw out a bunch of whitetail and what I am doing

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I had to throw out a bunch of whitetail and what I am doing

Postby StuartHunts » 09 12, 2016 •  [Post 1]

Hey Everyone!

After throwing out a bunch of whitetail due to freezer burn a little while back I decided enough was enough. I was tired of throwing out my spoils, and felt a little bit guilty to boot. There has to be a way to keep food fresh, and to keep it from being freezer burned. I started reading around and found my solution. A vacuum sealer.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I set out to buy something I tend to obsess over it. I have to know all of the nuances to make sure I am getting the right one for me, and at a fair price. I wound up spending more than a month reading through everything I could on vacuum sealers before making a purchase. Instead of letting all of that go to waste I decided to share it with everyone in the form of a buyer's guide. Check it out if you are thinking of picking up a vacuum sealer.

You can read the guide at http://www.thevacuumsealerexpert.com. It's got some nifty tips and tricks, too.

I've also started a vacuum sealer bag and roll discount buyer's club. I find the best prices on vacuum sealer bags and rolls and email you where and when to get them. Sign up here http://www.thevacuumsealerexpert.com/di ... ub/#signup

I am looking forward to storing my first Elk this way, as I know it will keep for a LONG time :)
StuartHunts

Re: I had to throw out a bunch of whitetail and what I am do

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 03, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I've heard great things about using the vacuum seal method for storing meat. There are a few wild game processors in my part of the planet that use this method and from what I've heard, it extends the freezer life of the meat significantly. Thanks for taking the time to do the research and post your findings up.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 10 06, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I use a chest freezer that is not frost free.That really increases frozen food life span.I also after doing a butcher wrap of the meat, I place about ten packs in an extra large zip lock bag and try to get most of the air out. That also makes for moving it around in the freezer easier

There is nothing wrong about eating freezer burned meat. It might taste off a smidge, but I sure wouldn't be throwing it away.Stews, chiles,etc will make it work.

Last year I finished eating a sorry old tough bull that I killed in 2009and I am working on a tough cow moose I killed in 2015.

Meat in the freezer and hay in the barn is like money in the bank
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Z Barebow » 10 09, 2016 •  [Post 4]

I wrap all of my meat in cellophane first, and then follow up with freezer paper. I have meat over 2 years old w/o freezer burn.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby wawhitey » 12 09, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Vaccum sealers are awesome. Also canning is a great way to preserve meat, but a little more of an investment, and you have to know what youre doing. For the record, i dont know how to can meat myself. I just cut it up and take it to my parents and have my mom can it for me. She always grumbles a bit about it but its well worth it. :D
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Deanmac » 12 09, 2016 •  [Post 6]

I use a vacuum sealer a lot, IMHO they work great
Deanmac