Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sausage stuffers?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sausage stuffers?

Postby RichM » 01 19, 2017 •  [Post 1]

well I tried, for the third time to make snack sticks using the Kitchen-aide grinder/sausage stuffer attachment and I just don't get good results and usually make a mess of things. So I'm thinking of getting a dedicated stuffer. Anyone have experience with Walton's?
https://www.waltonsinc.com/7-lb-sausage-stuffer

Since I plan on doing snack sticks a bit I am leaning towards the two speed model under the assumption the gear reduction will give better mechanical advantage than the single speed units.
RichM

First Name: Rich
Last Name: M

Re: Sausage stuffers?

Postby cohunter14 » 01 22, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Rich, for snack sticks the simple solution is to just get a jerky gun with the snack stick attachment. The one I have from Cabelas has that. No need to stuff them in a casing, just squeeze it out of there and cook it up.
cohunter14

First Name: Derek

Postby Brendan » 01 22, 2017 •  [Post 3]

I have a hand crank LEM similar to the one you linked to. New this year so haven't used it very much, but worked well the one time I used it.

Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby jmez » 01 26, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Never used a Walton's but have an LEM that is similar. Works great, you can do it by yourself no trouble. Only thing I would recommend in getting one bigger than you think you will need. I have a 15# model and actually wish it were bigger. A dedicated stuffer makes it so much easier and faster to stuff the casings I don't think you could have one that is too big. I think the one you linked was 7#. I generally make batches of 25# so would have to fill it 4 times. With a stuffer, it takes far longer to fill it, put the tube on, put the casings on than it does to stuff them. Depending on batch size you''ll find yourself wishing it were bigger.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby RichM » 01 26, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Thanks guys. In addition to the snack sticks I usually make summer sausage and I want to start making some kielbasa. I don't plan on making batches as large as jmez, I just don't have the freezer space yet.
I am really wondering if anyone knows if the two speed units are easier to crank with small casing than the the simpler(cheaper) single speed units?

Won't matter much if the tax man is good (not as bad) to me this year. I'll just pick up the two speed 7lb version I linked to unless the sale ends and the price goes through the roof.

Brendan, looks good.

Jmez and Bendan, do you parboil or smoke before freezing? I remember my mother would boil the kielbasa she made before freezing, but that was almost 40 years ago and my memory ain't what it used to be, and meat quality was a little more questionable back then if you didn't know your butcher well.
RichM

Postby Brendan » 01 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I made fresh sausages using Hank Shaw's advice, but the recipes I used were from one of Steven Rinella's books. Let them dry some, vacuum packed and froze. No pre-cooking or smoking for the two kinds I tried. Lots of recipes and instructions here from a true master at this:

http://honest-food.net/cured-meat/fresh-sausages/

(Pretty sure Hank's a sponsor here too?)
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby RichM » 01 28, 2017 •  [Post 7]

I ordered the walton. hopefully next weekend I will get to try it out with some sticks or a batch of polish style.
RichM

Postby jmez » 01 30, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Depends on what I'm making. I smoke my summer sausage and snack sticks. Bratwurst, breakfast sausage, and ring bologna, I make, stuff and freeze. I don't ever par boil any of it.
jmez

Postby RichM » 02 03, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Stuffer came and I've made a test summer sausage. It made things a lot easier than the way I had been doing it. tomorrow or next weekend hope to have the motivation to try the snack sticks. There is about 1/4 to 1/3 of a lb of meet that is left in the funnel once the piston bottoms out which I don't care for but it's the nature of the beast.

Hoping to make some kielbasa soon. I need some comfort food, been a difficult day. :(
RichM

Postby jmez » 02 04, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Always some left in the tube. I just push it out and stuff it in by hand

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
jmez

Postby RichM » 02 09, 2017 •  [Post 11]

jmez wrote:Always some left in the tube. I just push it out and stuff it in by hand

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nope.
Going to take that and make a little snack 'burger' for the 'chef'. :lol:
RichM