Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Ground Recipes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Ground Recipes

Postby elkstalker » 11 20, 2017 •  [Post 1]

In the past I have always tried to get as many steaks/roasts as possible as I butcher our meat, but last year I noticed we ran out of ground meat before steaks. So this year I ground a little more than I have in the past. We've always done spaghetti, tacos, and nachos, but I'm trying to broaden my horizons a little. The other night we did salisbury steak with mushroom gravy and last night meatballs, both were big hits with the family. I also made some Italian sausage and breakfast sausage. What are some ground elk/venison recipes that you really enjoy?
elkstalker

Re: Ground Recipes

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 20, 2017 •  [Post 2]

Always been a fan of a good meatloaf!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Washington Wapiti » 11 21, 2017 •  [Post 3]

elkstalker wrote:In the past I have always tried to get as many steaks/roasts as possible as I butcher our meat, but last year I noticed we ran out of ground meat before steaks. So this year I ground a little more than I have in the past. We've always done spaghetti, tacos, and nachos, but I'm trying to broaden my horizons a little. The other night we did salisbury steak with mushroom gravy and last night meatballs, both were big hits with the family. I also made some Italian sausage and breakfast sausage. What are some ground elk/venison recipes that you really enjoy?

In sticking with that theme, you could do brauts and summer sausage of course. I've never done sausage but I plan to give it a go this year. Doing a "formed" jerky with a jerky blaster or other similar process is an option. Last week we substituted a roast with a 2 pound block of ground for some BBQ venison sliders. Throw it into the crock with your favorite BBQ sauce before you go to work and let it slow-cook all day. When you get home it's ready! I like doing stuffed green peppers. Ground venison, taco seasoning, Spanish rice. After cooking rice and ground, mix in chopped green and red onion, cherry tomatoes, minced garlic, and sliced mushrooms. Cut out the pepper stem, and remove seeds, then rinse out the inside. Spoon in the stuffing mixture to the top and cover top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake in oven at 350 for about 30 min. Remove and enjoy!

Another one we do is elk shepards pie or cheesy elk pie:
4 potatoes peeled and cubed or substitute with Idahoan brand (choose your flavor) instant
2 TBS butter
1/2 cup milk
1 lb ground elk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp homemade onion powder
1 small onion chopped
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8-10 strips of bacon-fried, drained and crumbled. Feel free to use more, I mean it's BACON

Cook potatoes in water until tender. Mash with butter, milk, cover and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 and grease a large casserole dish with vegetable spray.
In a skillet, sauté onion and mushrooms together with the elk meat, garlic powder,
and onion powder, cook until no longer pink. Drain well and spread out on the bottom of the
casserole dish. Cover with mashed potatoes and spread out to the sides, so it's sealed.

Bake for 30 min. Cover with shredded cheddar and bacon. Bake another 10 min or until cheese is
melted. Serve with salad and warm garlic bread or your favorite sides.
The only time I've hugged a tree is to hang a stand.
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby jmez » 11 22, 2017 •  [Post 4]

We are a big fan of meatlof at my house.

I don't have measurements for my recipe, I just dump "the right amount" of most things in. Change to suit your taste.

2lbs ground meat
1 egg
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup milk
1 medium oninon, chopped how you prefer
Ketchup, dump some in, then after placing in the pan drizzle back and forth over top of whole loaf
Mustard of some sort, I use spicy brown
Worsetershire sauce
Heinz 57 steak sauce
Mix well by hand
Bake at 400 for an hour
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby wawhitey » 11 24, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Itll make ya fat in a hurry, but a good shepherds pie is hard to beat.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby unclefish » 11 27, 2017 •  [Post 6]

We make a lot of elk enchalida casserole . Follow any enchilada casserole just substitute 2 lbs of elk or venison.

My daughter and her cousins love when I make Elk tator tot casserole for them . I do use a a good BBQ sauce in the meat mixture.

3rd would be chili always comes out great elk always give it a sweet taste. I do use Mule deer for my chili a lot like the taste in chili
unclefish

Postby Washington Wapiti » 11 28, 2017 •  [Post 7]

wawhitey wrote:Itll make ya fat in a hurry, but a good shepherds pie is hard to beat.

That would explain my weight gain over the last few years lol
Washington Wapiti

Postby elkstalker » 11 30, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Wow, thanks for the great recipes guys! Another one I thought of was the "Idaho Taco." You bake potatoes and fill them with everything you might put in a taco, seasoned meat, cheese, avocado, salsa, onions, etc. You can also do this with the chili option.
elkstalker

Postby unclefish » 12 02, 2017 •  [Post 9]

tonight we are going to make elk beer can burgers for the first time
here's what I am thinking
2 lbs of elk
1 lb 80/20 burger
sautéed onions mushrooms pepper's for my filler
top it off with jalapeño cheddar jack cheese
30 pack bud light
unclefish

Postby elkstalker » 12 06, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Stuffed burgers sounds awesome! All except for the Bud Light :lol: I prefer Coors banquet or PBR :D
elkstalker

Postby unclefish » 12 06, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I ended up making those beer can burgers, they where awsome, took 1 lb elk 1lb ground beef, made into 4 equal 1/2 lb balls,pushed the beer can down then formed it around can. twisted. can out, wrapped with 2 slices of bacon, sautéed mushrooms onions and peppers, then dumped into pocket,gave it a dosing of sweet baby rays BBQ sauce then put the cheese on top put on grill on top shelf with just 2 front burners on just below med, 25 minutes later they came off. delicious
unclefish

Postby saddlesore » 12 10, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Green Chili Stew
2 cups water or a cup of water and cup of milk
2 cans cream potato soup (first time ,I only added one)
1 lb elk or venison ground meat
3 fresh roasted medium hot chilies, I can of mild chopped chilies ( pretty spicey)
1 onion, chopped into 1/2 “ cubes
3 med potatoes chopped into ½” cubes or two cans of canned potatoes
½ tbsp parsley flakes
½ tsp garlic salt
1 bay leaf(optional)
¼ tsp oregano
1/8-1/4 tsp greek seasoning
Sautee onions and cook ground meat with the onions.
Add water ( or milk), spices, chilies
Cook potatoes separately or use canned potatoes.
When meat/onions /spices are cooked , add cream of potato soup and potatoes.
Simmer until desired consistency.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Washington Wapiti » 12 21, 2017 •  [Post 13]

unclefish wrote:I ended up making those beer can burgers, they where awsome, took 1 lb elk 1lb ground beef, made into 4 equal 1/2 lb balls,pushed the beer can down then formed it around can. twisted. can out, wrapped with 2 slices of bacon, sautéed mushrooms onions and peppers, then dumped into pocket,gave it a dosing of sweet baby rays BBQ sauce then put the cheese on top put on grill on top shelf with just 2 front burners on just below med, 25 minutes later they came off. delicious

We know what you did with the one can . . . but what about the other 29 of that "Alabama Suitcase??" :lol:

Great recipes everyone, looking forward to trying some of these
Washington Wapiti

Postby pointysticks » 12 29, 2017 •  [Post 14]

i dont grind until i need it.

and i used my food processor. only grind what i need.

i chill it "firm" in the freezer. cut it up, put it in a tray, place tray in freezer. makes a perfect grind.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby saddlesore » 01 14, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Here is a little different meat loaf .
For this preparation, we used three pounds of our good, local beef, a large onion, a large can of vegetable beef soup, bread crumbs (toasted and torn bread also works well, as does oatmeal or crushed crackers), 3 eggs, bacon and - the secret ingredient - Worcestershire sauce. salt, pepper, catsup and optional cheese.

First, chop your onion: Big, small, in-between, chop it to a consistency that you like.

Next, you have a choice - you can simply make the meatloaf and top it with bacon strips (good), or you can cut up some bacon and put it in the meatloaf as well, reserving a few strips for topping if you like (really good). I chose to cut up some bacon:
And render out most of the fat:
In order to add a smokey goodness throughout the meatloaf.

Next, you have another choice - you can simply work the onions into the meatloaf (just fine) or you can carmelise them first and let them cool a bit before adding them to the meatloaf:
This step, in my opinion, takes it up another notch, but like the bacon step above, it is not necessary.

From here, it's a piece of cake - add the soup, eggs, salt and pepper (to taste) to the gound beef:
Also bread crumbs and Worcestershire sauce:
The amount of bread crumbs you add is rather subjective. I'd say at least a half-cup per pound; a lot of recipes i see call for a cup per pound, but when we try this, the meatloaf seems pretty dry - it could be because our good, local beef tends to be much leaner than most. Use enough so that it looks like your meatloaf is binding well, I'd say.

For the Worcestershire sauce, add an amount that is "to taste;" I'd prefer 2 tablespoons per pound, but start with 1 tablespoon per pound and go from there.

Anyway, mix it all together very thoroughly:
A wooden spoon is fine, but to be honest, there is no substitute for getting your hands in there and doing it right.

Next, add in your onions and, if you choose, bacon:
And continue mixing until it is all in there and all distributed. Some people like it to be mixed very vigorously, beaten until the meatloaf mixture is almost fluffy. I tend to like it this way, but it's not for everyone. Others prefer it to be as loosely-mixed as is possible. It's up to you!

Sometimes we add some catsup and/or shredded cheddar cheese at this point, say half a cup per pound of meat - but it is another one of those things that isn't necessary.

For this preparation, i chose to make the meatloaf in our cast-iron skillet, pressing the ground beef mixture into the bottom of a large "popcorn" bowl and turning it out onto the cast iron:
If you didn't add bacon into the actual meatloaf, then go ahead and lay a few strips on top now. Heck, even if you did add bacon to the actual meatloaf, you can go ahead and lay a few strips on top now, if you want. Also, a lot of times people like to cover the top with catsup and/or cheese. this is all ruled by personal
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 02 12, 2018 •  [Post 16]

jmez wrote:We are a big fan of meatlof at my house.
I don't have measurements for my recipe, I just dump "the right amount" of most things in. Change to suit your taste.
2lbs ground meat
1 egg
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup milk
1 medium oninon, chopped how you prefer
Ketchup, dump some in, then after placing in the pan drizzle back and forth over top of whole loaf
Mustard of some sort, I use spicy brown
Worsetershire sauce
Heinz 57 steak sauce
Mix well by hand
Bake at 400 for an hour

I do what my mom did to extend the meat. more oatmeal or steel cut oats eggs
She sometimes added green bell peppers too
I just made a ground goose meat loaf,. I needed more onion 8-) .
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H