Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Istant-pot

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Istant-pot

Postby ishy » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Anyone tried these? They look like a pressure cooker/crock pot hybrid. Heard will cook like a crock pot in 70% less time.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Re: Istant-pot

Postby jmez » 02 16, 2018 •  [Post 2]

My wife has one. It does cook fast. Works pretty good. She cooks All kinds of stuff in it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby scubohuntr » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 3]

It's just a pressure cooker; and as such will do a few things really well and some others not as well. Braising meats, stews, and things like that are great. I'd think it would overcook most veggies, and it's iffy on pasta dishes. It needs a fair amount of liquid to function properly; unlike a plain vanilla pressure cooker, if it doesn't have enough liquid it won't seal and won't pressure up. It has a tendency to burn things onto the bottom of the pot. You can use it without pressure, and I suppose at low heat it could do some slow cooking, but an actual crock pot is cheaper and simpler for that. You can brown stuff in it, by using it as a very small, very deep complicated frying pan. Of course, there are websites and whatnot claiming it will cook anything perfectly in a fraction of the time. Nope. Within its limitations, it works pretty well. If you don't have a pressure cooker, I'd say it's worth having. It won't replace your crock pot, though.
scubohuntr

Postby Tigger » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 4]

We just got one. I think we have cooked 3-4 things and are still learning. I did cook some frozen fish in 2 minutes to tender perfection (my part in it turning out so good was purely an accident as I was clueless).
Tigger

Postby RAMMONT » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 5]

scubohuntr wrote:It's just a pressure cooker; and as such will do a few things really well and some others not as well. Braising meats, stews, and things like that are great. I'd think it would overcook most veggies, and it's iffy on pasta dishes. It needs a fair amount of liquid to function properly; unlike a plain vanilla pressure cooker, if it doesn't have enough liquid it won't seal and won't pressure up. It has a tendency to burn things onto the bottom of the pot. You can use it without pressure, and I suppose at low heat it could do some slow cooking, but an actual crock pot is cheaper and simpler for that. You can brown stuff in it, by using it as a very small, very deep complicated frying pan. Of course, there are websites and whatnot claiming it will cook anything perfectly in a fraction of the time. Nope. Within its limitations, it works pretty well. If you don't have a pressure cooker, I'd say it's worth having. It won't replace your crock pot, though.

It's pretty obvious that you've never used one or if you have then you didn't use it correctly, my wife has been using one for a while now and at almost 6000' in altitude it's been great.

Veggies - perfect (we like Asian food and we have no problem with making Chinese of Japanese dishes).
Beef - the beef stew and vegetable soup she made last week was perfect.
Pasta - she hasn't done pasta yet but she does rice quite often, the trick is that you cook for a shorter time in the Instant Pot than you'd expect. Rice over the stove takes around 20 minutes, in the Instant Pot at 6000' it takes about 7 to 8 minutes. Some people complain about burning their pasta, I'd suspect that they are cooking it longer than necessary.
Liquid requirement - not any different than any other pressure cooker, in fact, probably a little less because no, the water doesn't create the seal, they have a rubber seal inside the lid and the lid cams in to a locked position. The seal is compressed when the lid is locked.
Burning food - my wife has had absolutely nothing burn yet, read the instructions and quit believing everything you read on the Internet - most people make their own problems and it's not the product.
Compared to a Crock Pot - absolutely, hands down, better than a Crock Pot and my wife loved to use a Crock Pot for years. Just recently my wife made cold start yogurt (I don't know if you can do that in a Crock Pot but I doubt it) and it turned out well. Yes, you can make yogurt in a Crock Pot but you use the warm start method and it's a bit simpler to use the cold start method, especially in the Instant Pot. Regardless of what you make in either kind of pot the Instant Pot takes less time to cook the same foods. Her beef stew took less than an hour but a Crock Pot would have taken all day. The Instant Pot is lighter than a Crock Pot and the electronic controller gives you more versatility over the kinds of things you can cook.
RAMMONT

Postby ishy » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 6]

We did frozen chicken breasts in 12 minutes, and rice in 4. Given our young family and my wife's wait till after dinner time to even think about preparing anything schedule- I think this will be a huge help for us.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby scubohuntr » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 7]

It's pretty obvious that you've never used one or if you have then you didn't use it correctly, my wife has been using one for a while now and at almost 6000' in altitude it's been great.

Sorry I offended you by having an opinion on Instant Pots. I've only had mine a month or so, and I believe I made it clear when I was just guessing and when I had actual experience to back it up.

Yes, the instant pot has a silicone seal that compresses (which you will never get the smells out of, btw, but it doesn't seem to transfer tastes). The problem is the little "pop-up" button that needs to pop before it starts building pressure. I tried to adapt a recipe and apparently didn't have enough liquid in it to pop the button. It'll sit there happily heating but never seal up, so no pressure. Carefully following the instructions that came with the product, I had several times when it burned the bottom of something. Maybe I did something wrong, I dunno. Pasta "dishes" (I have no doubt it cooks plain rice quite well) don't do well in a crock pot either. When the meat is done the pasta is goo. I'm glad to hear the vegetables work well, I just wasn't sure you could pressure cook something like broccoli or Brussels sprouts and not have it turn into compost.

Is it better than a crock pot? That's kind of like is my Ruger Redhawk better than my I-Pad. Completely different jobs. If you're in a hurry, the recipe has enough liquid in it, and you're willing to do things in the correct order, it does a great job. As I type this, I have a batch of stew in the crock pot at home. The Instant Pot is in the cupboard. I'll certainly use the Instant Pot again, probably as soon as I locate a reasonable deal on short ribs or hammer a couple of squirrels. It braises really well. It's a pretty good pressure cooker, a lousy frying pan, a mediocre slow cooker, and I really don't have any information on how it does as a rice cooker or yogurt maker.
scubohuntr

Postby RAMMONT » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 8]

scubohuntr wrote:

Sorry I offended you by having an opinion on Instant Pots. I've only had mine a month or so, and I believe I made it clear when I was just guessing and when I had actual experience to back it up.

Yes, the instant pot has a silicone seal that compresses (which you will never get the smells out of, btw, but it doesn't seem to transfer tastes). The problem is the little "pop-up" button that needs to pop before it starts building pressure. I tried to adapt a recipe and apparently didn't have enough liquid in it to pop the button. It'll sit there happily heating but never seal up, so no pressure. Carefully following the instructions that came with the product, I had several times when it burned the bottom of something. Maybe I did something wrong, I dunno. Pasta "dishes" (I have no doubt it cooks plain rice quite well) don't do well in a crock pot either. When the meat is done the pasta is goo. I'm glad to hear the vegetables work well, I just wasn't sure you could pressure cook something like broccoli or Brussels sprouts and not have it turn into compost.

Is it better than a crock pot? That's kind of like is my Ruger Redhawk better than my I-Pad. Completely different jobs. If you're in a hurry, the recipe has enough liquid in it, and you're willing to do things in the correct order, it does a great job. As I type this, I have a batch of stew in the crock pot at home. The Instant Pot is in the cupboard. I'll certainly use the Instant Pot again, probably as soon as I locate a reasonable deal on short ribs or hammer a couple of squirrels. It braises really well. It's a pretty good pressure cooker, a lousy frying pan, a mediocre slow cooker, and I really don't have any information on how it does as a rice cooker or yogurt maker.

I'm not offended, just like you I simply posted my opinion, if you're too sensitive to handle a response that you don't agree with then grow a pair.
RAMMONT

Postby jmez » 02 20, 2018 •  [Post 9]

My wife does pasta in hers and it had been good.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby elkstalker » 02 21, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I had never heard of these, I'll have to pick one up... The nature of most wild gave cooking is either cook it fast and leave it rare to medium rare, or cook it all day long low and slow until it brakes down and falls apart. This will be great for the latter.
elkstalker

Postby scubohuntr » 02 21, 2018 •  [Post 11]

RAMMONT wrote:
I'm not offended, just like you I simply posted my opinion, if you're too sensitive to handle a response that you don't agree with then grow a pair.
[/quote][/quote]
I'm a lot harder to offend than that, snarking back is just a bad habit with me. :mrgreen:
scubohuntr

Postby pointysticks » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 12]

one of you just posted your opinion..hahha/.

i tried one. didnt like it.

i personally cannot stand all these countertop appliances. i have a few, a rice cooker..but i am an American Born chinese kid..i get a pass. :) okay, i also have a microwave. and a toaster.

but crockpots, counter top fryers, etc. no thanks. i love slow cooking. it is my favorite kitchen cooking move. i love using a dutch oven in the actual oven..turns the house into the best smelling place on earth.

plus, crockpots and pressure cookers..you still need to do actual cooking before you hit that GO button.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pointysticks » 05 09, 2018 •  [Post 13]

oh, the 6 qt Instant pot is on sale for $99 at Sur la table right now.

i assume that is a good price. heads up.
pointysticks

Postby Lsb » 05 31, 2018 •  [Post 14]

pointysticks wrote:
plus, crockpots and pressure cookers..you still need to do actual cooking before you hit that GO button.

No we dump a frozen roast in at 6 am with water some seasoning and the left over coffee and it's ready to eat by 5 pm
Lsb

Postby pointysticks » 06 05, 2018 •  [Post 15]

you dont do any browning? no milliard reaction stuff?
pointysticks

Postby Lsb » 06 05, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Nope just dump em in frozen and turn it to high. Got two antelope roasts in there now.
Lsb

Postby Lsb » 06 05, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I got home tonight and sliced and pulled it. Drained the liquid, added 2cans of Rotel and 2 diced jalapenos. Served on tortillas with sour cream. It was delicious.
Lsb