Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Late Spring Wolf Hunt

Moderators: Lefty, Swede, Tigger, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Late Spring Wolf Hunt

Postby 7mmfan » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I'm going to be in the Salmon ID area mid June to do some camping and elk scouting. I have a 2019 wolf tag and the season is open through June so I thought I'd pack my rifle and see if I could knock one down. Does anyone have any tips for targeting wolves specifically that time of year? Assuming lost calf/fawn, calf in distress. What about pup in distress? I won't be putting a bunch of time into it, but I want to be prepared with a few tricks up my sleeve should the opportunity present itself.

Thanks
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: Late Spring Wolf Hunt

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Heading over in June (as you know) will limit you to generally lower elevations (snow won't be off yet up high). This may work in your favor though. I have never targeted/hunted them, but, have talked to a good handful of Idaho trappers and hunters over the years and queried them on how they hunt the big dogs. They mostly say that arguably the best time to hunt them is DEC - MAR. The elk and deer seasons are closed (you're out there by yourself), and, the elk are in their winter range with the wolves in close proximity. And of course, there's snow on the ground which makes locating a bit easier.

In mid-June, I would say that wintering elk should be starting their upward movement, almost following the snowmelt line, so you should be able to locate some wolves by snooping around the perimeter of the group(s) of elk.

I've always had no trouble locating wolves in N ID and NW MT but just bugling to locate elk at night. If there are wolves in the drainage, it seems that they'll always howl back at a bugle. You could also try just howling after dark also. Once you locate some big dogs than ya, head back in there in the morning, do some setups, and get busy with a distressed calf predator call. One guy in Idaho a few years ago mentioned he uses a Wolf Howler from ELK INC out of Montana. Here's the link for the howler. Hope you get into some!

https://www.elkinc.com/the-wolf-howler/
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 7mmfan » 05 07, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for the info. The number one goal of the trip is to find elk in some new ground, so my guess is like yours, if I can find the elk, the wolves shouldn't be to far removed. Snow is already coming off fast in some of that ground though. Lost Trail Pass is down to a foot on the south side of the highway. North faces I'm sure have a few feet left though. A month from now I imagine access to the higher country will be pretty easy.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 07, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I've found that if looking at the high country (6K+), the snow doesn't leave till almost mid-July some years. Wife and I went and camped/scouted in ID a few years ago on the 4th of July; was still very snow packed up high.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 7mmfan » 05 08, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Good info. The ground I'm hoping to scout is in the 7000' range, so we'll see how it goes! No shortage of ground to explore if those spots are inaccessible.
7mmfan