Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Any day hunting is better,,,,

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Any day hunting is better,,,,

Postby Lefty » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Spent nearly the whole day in the blind with a neighbor today. Trumpet swans by the dozens and dozens, Such a great sight to see!
We never had the perfect feet down goose shot. And only one real opportunity, So only one goose for today

So I just need to brag

However yesterday was weirdly different. An adjoining spread land some birds before legal shooting time. They waiter then shot into the early flight. Literally minutes into legal shooting time.
I started calling, the birds turned and came straight to me fighting a 20 mph head wind
Twenty geese dropped and started to land 40 yards out. I screamed into the call, six geese pumped a few more times and started back peddling . I picked the widest bird then two more geese as they flared up ., Whop , whop whop
Sweet
A good clean triple.
I started to get out of the pit. Then stepped back down and then pushed air into the call, The flock of geese nearly off the field the flight swung hard, returned giving me a 10 yard shot
four shots four geese , one flock :P

Toby Keith -
I ain't as good once was,
But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
8-)

57D1F246-6C90-46A3-A26C-8E3A3F21711A.jpeg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Any day hunting is better,,,,

Postby elkstalker » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 2]

We've been having a lot of good days up here, this will be our last weekend... Turns out my youngest likes goose hunting better than any other type, he has shot more geese in his first year than I did in my first three years hunting waterfowl. I'll post some pictures later.
elkstalker

Postby Lefty » 01 11, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Slowest and worst year since I moved to Idaho 15 years ago. And unfortunately The geese are showing up the last week of the hunt
Today I saw some distant birds but nothing near. the blowing snow made it a challenge hunting from the small pit Im hunting from.
Shortly after 11:00 I heard a honk,.. Eventually 50 geese emerged from the snow. the flight split
Way high but locked up, I didnt think they could make it down. It became evident the back 20 birds wanted in the front 30 would land after the head of the spread. I put a forth shell on the ready on the lid of the blind.
I could see a pair lining up,.. I went for two birds with the first shot,.. dropped three,I swung to a clear bird . Four geese two shots
The nearest bird was at 8 yards, the shot nearly severed the head

image.jpg
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 12, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Nice ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 01 13, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I hunted with a couple of young goose killers today. Even being in the pit the weather was brutal with wind and burning snow.
I was bragging My last 12 geese took 11 shots.

It is still early and single comes in. I told Dustin he could miss the goose and let Jordon back him up ,. at 50 yards the bird swung giving me the shot. I miss the first shot at slightly over 20 yard, then two more misses,..
Those guys credit me with a jinx today,..
I dont plan to divulge how many shots were required for a bag of 5 geese,.. way beyond humble and extreme embarrassment

We did have some incredibly working birds.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 01 14, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Today my daughter was planning to hunt. Work wanted her to ak

I texted a buddy two hours away to join me.
Later in the evening he changed his mind, the weather scared him. And rightfully so. This morning schools closed and some road closures again.

I started setting decoys, the wind picked up, this nasty nasty snow squall started blowing decoys away.
The winds whipped up the fresh snow As I crawled into the pit. At ground level the blowing snow at face level was painful .

Early on I thought a pair of swans came in, with the blowing snow I ignored the swans. Minutes later a buddy in a neighboring goose spread texted me.
Those are geese you know! :lol: :lol: ooopps they were geese
I loaded my gun , jumped them and dropped them.

I heard some distant shots,I watched 20 geese leave the neighboring spread, They were joined by two more groups of geese, now 100 strong, the geese fighting their way across the field In a 40 yard swath geese start landing. I picked two out from a group in front of me and I was done.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 01 15, 2020 •  [Post 7]

The birds didnt fly until my daughter had made the walk back to her truck. The blue bird day was a pain but every bird dead under 30 yards

IMG_2142.JPG
Lefty