Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Got some, missed others

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Got some, missed others

Postby Lefty » 12 31, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Yesterday I took a young man on a goose who had just got off his church mission. It was too cold to be hunting 1 degree an 15-25 mph winds, Just plain chilling.
The first pair of geese he and dad dropped a banded goose. A few more close in flocks and more dead geese.
A few hours later I loaded my gun, Dad mounted the go-pro the next flock we dropped 5 got them all on tape. We called the hunt 8-)
This pic it is still 1 degree out and windy
IMG_3952 (2) (Small).JPG
IMG_3952 (2) (Small).JPG (79.55 KiB) Viewed 4824 times

This morning negative 15 degrees, and we all felt comfortable after yesterdays windy hunt.The geese didn't work as well but still a good hunt today.
A friend in Wyoming sent a pic of his truck dash thermometer-34, yikes Later in the afternoon temps were all the way up to 5 above for us

I had traps and snares to check. The first two snares rabbits knocked the snares down and a bobcat had strolled right past the closed snares

400 feet of elevation on a 40 degree slope and 14 inches of snow is tough, the sunset was unreal, bright red clouds. The temperature has dropped to -10 and Im sweating too heavy. I decided to keep my hands in the gloves instead of taking a picture.

Walking a rock out cropping I cut fresh lion tracks, I start following them, the tracks were headed the same way I was.
Ah a fresh bed, the melted snow hasn't froze I had jumped the small cat from its overlook.

Next snare, the lion had played around chasing a small rodent in the juniper thicket. Im glad the pinch point where the snare was located was too tight for the cat.
The next snare was drifted shut, with three sets of coyote tracks splitting after the pinch point.
The moon is bright the air still and coyote in the distance sounds off.
A few hundred feet lower I cross the fresh lion track,
Back at the ATV I put my big coat back on. Start the ATV move ahead, In the headlights there is the lion track just 50 feet from my ATV. How cool is that!!

Im hungry. Only two traps left. Each trap under cedar trees the cows have worried for the past 50 years. with the bright moonlight from a couple hundred feet away I could see something happened.

Inspecting the first location the snow had drifted in,.. a bob cat had torn and dug in the trash pile.

I dont have a light and inspect the tree, and looked, and look some more. For those that have walked up on a trapped bobcat and didn't know the cat was there, well you know there isnt a more exhilarating thing in the world , "discovering " a bobcat 2-3 feet away :P Nothing: the cat had stepped on both trap jaws but not the pan :roll:
Oh well I do this for the exercise anyway.

The last trap the cat tore the tinsil flag off the tree and continued on its way. A coyote had walked up to the tree and stepped over the snow covered track and left yellow colored snow proving he was unimpressed with the scent location.

Life is great
Happy New year
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Got some, missed others

Postby zpd307 » 12 31, 2014 •  [Post 2]

man, you guys have had the cold..... its has been hovering around 9 degrees all day over here. thats a nice collection of sky carp. they are fun to soot though!
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby Lefty » 12 31, 2014 •  [Post 3]

zpd307 wrote:man, you guys have had the cold..... its has been hovering around 9 degrees all day over here. thats a nice collection of sky carp. they are fun to soot though!

Hey,.. on a good year this whole state only has 50,000 sky ca ca car,car . I cant even call then such a de- grading name. :P

We have had some cold, but if it wasnt for the Minnesota upbringing , it would have been stupid to not be prepared.
One group didnt show up to hunt the field . the other group on the field set out at 8:00 Am and were done picking up their spread by 9:15 They never stuck around for the birds 8-)
Lefty

Postby zpd307 » 01 01, 2015 •  [Post 4]

:D
zpd307

Postby pointysticks » 01 02, 2015 •  [Post 5]

what do those taste like?

anyone taken one with a bow? around here, they are like pigeons. they dont even migrate anymore. if i ever need meat in an emergency, i have plenty of those around :)

and when they come down out of the sky, they must pound into the earth hard with all that mass behind them!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby zpd307 » 01 03, 2015 •  [Post 6]

cliff, I have only found one recipe to make them taste good, ie- make them not taste like geese! it takes a couple of days of marinating them to do so.... guys have made them into jerky, but to me the taste is always off. some have been able to do it, I just haven't been able to get them to taste good.
zpd307

Postby Lefty » 01 04, 2015 •  [Post 7]

For shredded beef
3 geese in a slow cooker
2 cans of beef broth
for 8-12 hours
1 tbl butter the last hour

Can be used for Au-Jeu (sp ?)
Hourseradish like roast beef
sweet hot Thai chili pepper sauce and sandwiches
minced garlic not too much you dont want to taste the garlic
And salt

1/2 cubed add taco seasoning for anything Mexican in olive oil add the seasoning when browned then finish cooking

steaks
Most guys don't know how to make good goose steaks
slice breast 1/2 -3/4 "
place in hot olive oil,( not too many) brown both sides add butter and steak seasoning I like Montreal steak seasoning

Of course anything thing cream of mushroom, but slightly cook in olive oil to drain some moisture first
Lefty

Postby zpd307 » 01 04, 2015 •  [Post 8]

sounds good. I wish that I had some lying around so I could try out that shredded goose recipe. those chilis sound delicious.
zpd307