Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Turkey or coyote?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Turkey or coyote?

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 1]

:D I finally finished the euro mount on my fox skull, so my avatar is a yote eating a fox. Whatcha guys think, this one or my previous one (the turkey-agent J)?
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Re: Turkey or coyote?

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 03, 2015 •  [Post 2]

C'mon y'all, honest opinions. :geek:
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby foxvalley » 08 04, 2015 •  [Post 3]

I think it looks great! Good job on the skull cleaning,I job I do not enjoy!
Now you just need to keep it going, and find a wolf skull to eat the coyote/fox.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 04, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Yea and then a bear skull! I learned that hand cleaning the skulls is super hard and time consuming from my first buck, I had to do a mount on him, he was my first buck (actually a button buck)! :D So now what I do is skin and freez the head, wait till spring, put the skulls in a closed cage (hav-a-hart trap) and let the insects take care of it. It takes forever to bleach them because the strongest H2o2 I can find is only 3%. :roll: All that cleaning is too much work if you have access to the great outdoors full of insects! You should think about getting those little black Beatles they are bred and sold specifically for cleaning skulls. ;)
GobbleFarmer

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 04, 2015 •  [Post 5]

How do you bleach your skulls; Foxvalley?
GobbleFarmer

Postby foxvalley » 08 05, 2015 •  [Post 6]

I used to have a colony of beatles,there called demestid beatles.I converted a large chest freezer into the beatle colony,the whole bottom was about 2' thick with beatles and sawdust.Had a hard time keeping them fed,resorted to lopping off the heads of road kills,and throwing in 1lb.packages of hamberger when I couldn't find road kill. Ended up with a large box full of skulls from every little critter.
Now I farm out all the skull work.You can get the strong hydrogen peroxide,but you need a permit.I would mix this with "BK white" used to bleach hair,and available from any beauty salon.
Also, forgot to answer your question,yes I do mount turkeys!
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby GobbleFarmer » 08 06, 2015 •  [Post 7]

That's a ton of beatles, what did you do with all those skulls :shock: ?
I've heard about the beauty salon stuff, I guess I'll give it a try.
Sweet, what would a full body, full strut mount cost? Maybe if I shoot a Tom next year send it over there, as the taxidermist guy here charges $700+! :o
GobbleFarmer