Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Breeding sequence predator call

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Breeding sequence predator call

Postby Kleinpm » 09 22, 2015 •  [Post 1]

The breeding sequence is apparently not just for elk. This morning I called for about 20 minutes and saw a coyote trying to get downwind from me. He probably smelled me and took off.

I move one ridge over and try again. After about 15 minutes I see something slinking through a timbered draw ( I am on a little bench between two wooded areas). I got my binocs on him and low and behold its a black wolf. He glances my direction and then another direction. I looked in the direction he glanced and there is a big white/grey wolf about 40 yards from me. After watching them for a couple of minutes it was clear that I was being surrounded - the white one would glance at the black one which I couldn't see anymore and then the other way where there was probably another wolf. While this was a very cool experience it was also a little spooky. I got busted trying to take a picture and they boogied out. On my way back to the truck they howled the entire 20 minutes.

I don't buy wolf tags mainly because I don't want to deal with the threats to myself and family from wacko wolfies if I did kill one, otherwise I could probably have killed the white one.

Patrick
Kleinpm

First Name: Patrick
Last Name: Klein

Re: Breeding sequence predator call

Postby powderhogg01 » 09 23, 2015 •  [Post 2]

that would have gotten me going no doubt. I think I would likely carry a wolf tag if I were in a wolf rich area. They lone wolf does occasionally pass through my part of colorado, but we do not have any packs roaming as far as i'm aware. I know the population needs to be managed, for all animals in the woods, and that is why I would carry a wolf tag. I do understand not wanting to be harassed though, some people do not understand its all in the name of conservation. All populations of wild animals need to be controlled to keep the natural balance, there simply is not enough elk for them and us to have all we want, so we limit out number of takes, and too must we limit theirs.
powderhogg01

First Name: sam
Last Name: cohen

Re: Breeding sequence predator call

Postby ishy » 11 10, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Cool experience, but doubt you have to worry about any fall back if you took one out. You and one fish and game officer are the only ones that would ever have to know!
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L